When a story uses modern slang?

As an American, I’ve never heard this. Am I getting old??

It’s only two years old I believe. The term is use alot on Twitter. Bet didn’t became popular until 2017. It started in the urban communities and travel out to other places. So, no you’re are not getting old the slang is still catching up with morden times. I give it until next year.

I know right? I think the problem is its a book for kids written by adults who don’t value the opinion of young adults, so they just make assumptions and the project makes me feel uncomfortable and scared and annoyed.

I’m an adult and not all of us are that far out of touch.
For shizzle is still cool right? :rofl:

BETTTTT
jkjk

As a reader, some slang is just … cringe worthy… so :woman_shrugging:t2:

for shizzle

Oh, that’s no bueno. I think using modern slag will automatically date the story. I think authors should try to make their stories timeless, if that makes any sense.

I’m 16 and I have no idea what this means. Any help?

It really depends on context, if your book is in the 1400s, probably use slang of said era, not from today. If your book happens in a fictional world, be it fantasy, scifi, or alternative history, or a combination, is probable that said world will develop it’s own slang, be creative about what people invented as slang in the context of said world

Honestly, I try to keep away from modern slang in my stories, teen fiction included. I find that it’s a quick way to date a story, and whenever I read a story where a character uses outdated terms, I get distracted and want to see what year it was published. (Then again, I want to do that if the story has technology that’s irrelevant today and it’s hard to swear off all technology in teen fiction.)

Anyone else remember when “that’s sick” meant “that’s awesome?” Now whenever I hear a character or anyone saying “that’s sick,” I have a hard time knowing if they mean it’s awesome, or it’s gross. And my first guess is “awesome” until I remember no one’s used it that way in 10+ years.

I could be totally wrong but I think it came from a YouTube video… I’m not really sure though … :joy:

Let’s get it. 6ix9ine popularized it.

I feel that slang should only be used in dialogue. Because it changes all the time with each generation it does not do well for a book to have part of the narrative written in a way that the meaning will be lost or misunderstood.
Of course I am biased and prefer to read narration in well formulated English that does not leave me scratching my head and running to urban dictionary trying to figure out what the hodgepodge of letters means.