When reading in an alien's POV, do you except alien terms?

Meaning, if the alien is on its own planet, and is telling the reader about a blanket, do you expect the alien to say ‘blanket’ or use its word for it?

• Use whatever language the story is written in
  • Use the alien’s word for it and give description or subtext for readers to figure out the meaning

0 voters

You can mix it up. Doesn’t have to be limited to a specific language.

1 Like

Neither. I give a translation of the alien’s word. So it’s a blanket. Sometimes there’s no word with the right, so first a bit of research is need to see if there actually is an appropriate word. If there isn’t then construct a word out of recognizable word parts. If the word is either constructed or obscure use it in such a way that the reader can figure out the meaning from the context.

1 Like

Are asking us if you should translate the whole story into English or just some it? Most of us don’t speak alien languages, so leaving alien words untranslated in it wouldn’t help us read it very well.

I would use the books language as if it’s being translated for the reader, no one wants to sit there and read things they don’t understand.

Depends on what you are doing it’s Accept, except is exclusionary. If you are trying to torque with the readers head then yeah any form of whatever language is fine…
“There was me that is Alex, and my three drooges, that is Pete and Gorgie and Dim, and we sat in the Karova milk bar trying to make up our razoodocks what to do with the evening. The Karova served milk plus that is milk plus velocet, or drencrum,”
Okay paraphrased a little I didn’t get the quote exactly right, but you get the idea, but a clockwork orange is a good example of where language plays a part. You get this a lot too with Phillip K Dick, … Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep… stuff like that… Hope that helps a lil.