Which horror - and romance tropes must be included?

Hi, at the moment I’m writing a book which is a parody of all literature that has its mainfocus on romance. It also takes place where Norse mythology and werewolves exist.

I’m not into such books noire do I have enough knowledge about horror films.

So which tropes are almost always there?

I only know these things here -

Horror

• The group splits up in obvious scary places like haunted buildings.

Romance

• Bad boy

If you’re in the werewolf… overly dominant alpha males… and woman with no self-esteem

3 Likes

Thank you. That’s great.

1 Like

You’re welcome, very often abusive relationships and all :slight_smile:

If you write parody, you should stick to “the obvious” and turn that around. “Scary Movie” is a nice example: the girl is in panic, there are two road signs, “safe side” and “trouble” and of course she goes to the “trouble” side.

Take Little Red Riding Hood (the “woman with no self-esteem” vs the “dominant alpha male” that @WolfUnderTheMoon89 mentioned), your girl lets the hungry wolf in, closes the door, takes a knife and says: “Ha! I trapped you. I’ve always wanted a warm wolfskin coat.” And then the wolf has to talk himself out of it, telling her sweet romance talk, giving her chocolate, inviting her to a concert of his cousins, howling at night at the moon.

3 Likes

I also thank you for your effort to write these examples.

It’s not the wolf or the Norse gods you should fear; it’s parody itself what will make your writing life howling mad in hell. You will make fun of things that are holy to many people (I don’t refer to Norse mythology, of course, but to werewolves and vampires that are beloved and worshipped by many Wattpad readers).

Are you prepared to pick up the pen and fight the battle of words, with the one and only goal as to make people laugh about their own weaknesses? If you succeed in that quest, you will be granted the title of Ancient Satiric Super Hero Of Laughter Entertainment, and if not, you’ll get stuck with the abbreviation of that title.

(if it wasn’t against the rules, I would refer to my Campfire Story ‘50 shades of Snow White’, where parody is the main ingredient of a well-known fairy tale, written in about 23 other genres, so I don’t tell you about that story, of course)

3 Likes

I am ready to get the hate. I’ve already written four chapters and I’ll be sure to check out your book which hasn’t been mentioned, of course.

2 Likes

Adult Romance = big peepie. Absolute must.

1 Like

Wow. I’m speechless. Thanks :joy:. This is just going to better and better.

To make sure I’m not hunting for readers, I returned you the favour, Varulven, which gives me a chance to some in-depth remarks.

The writing is excellent, and for English not being your native language, that’s even a bigger compliment. I mean: “His teeth where sharper than any genious and pointier than the nails of any Valley girl. Frank Zappa would have written a song about them.” Speaks for itself.

Most important: this doesn’t read like satire or parody at all. It’s much too close to the serious work. The problem lies already at the start: the first impression is FEAR!, and you shouldn’t break that by waking up from a dream, but by making it ridiculous, like:

A huge, brown werewolf stared at him. He looked around. No way out. The wolf was already above him, pushed him to the ground, growled a hungry smile, opened his mouth and said: “Let’s take a head start.” He swallowed the man’s head in one bite, and spit it out even quicker: “Ugh. Dandruff. I hate it when people don’t wash their hair before they get lost in the woods. Next time, I hunt a juicy female; they always smell nice and clean.”

And that’s the hard part of satire: you work so hard to make your reader eat her nails (and you do a good job too), but then you have to kill those emotions by turning the effect around, with a joke or something that obviously doesn’t fit in a real werewolf-romance. And you have to do that already on the first page, or your reader will not understand that she’ll be put on the wrong foot over and over again.

One final tip: read Janet Evanovich, the Stephanie Plum series. It’s a detective - mystery story, but the point is that Janet has a special talent of satire and Stephanie Plum is a character who’s perfect for the genre. Your story needs more “pointe” and your character might need more character to make it work.

1 Like

Ooooo! Here’s some paranormal romance tropes that would be fun to add into a horror-parody:

1. an alpha male who is literally an alpha male (in a wolf pack)
  2. bad boy billionaire who purchases some kind of property with an abandoned graveyard
  3. clueless heiress who inherits a haunted house from her deceased great-great-grand aunt
  4. vampire prince who runs an underground bar/nightclub because of the whole daylight thing
  5. the cool, silent, pale-skinned hottie in class turns out to be a zombie/undead
1 Like

Thank you for your honest criticism and advice. It helps a lot.

Thank you a lot. Number five really suprised me.

1 Like

Number five is actually more of a manga/anime thing rather than a novel thing (Sankarea for example). It would be fun to try out though. I only remembered it because I saw a clip of the movie Warm Bodies today.

1 Like

Cool!

1 Like

Pretty plausible in real life too. But credit goes to years of watching The Dead Files and previously having access to titles from Harlequin Presents. :grin:

Interesting. Normally I watch other animes so that’s why it suprised me.

1 Like

I can see how. :smile: There’s loads of stuff in anime that are interesting horror-wise, so much that it’s easy to miss a lot of the tropes or cliches. Blood+ was more dark fantasy than horror, but it did take the phrase ‘vampire bat’ to a new level.

I’m no expert, but my observation on the romance genre is you need to set up to characters who really want to be together and then you set up obstacles preventing that. That is basically where all the drama resides. Will they or won’t they bone?

The bad boy trope is just another obstacle. She won’t be with him because he’s a bad boy. He’s too bad to be with someone like her, etc. etc.

I’d read a blog explaining the appeal of the Twilight franchise that said the bad boy is appealing because the bad boy is bad to everyone, except the heroine. This makes her feel special, and the audience feel special by proxy, because she’s able to find/bring out the good in the bad boy. So it’s an obstacle, but also something that enhances the romance.

My ex had me read a book where it was two bland, good characters and it was boring because it was utter contrivance keeping them apart. Bad boy, while a cliche, has more going on that can be used.

Horror is a genre that is more interesting to me, but more difficult to distill like this. But then my understanding of the romance genre is far from complete.

1 Like