Who here is into manga/anime?

Hello everyone, a fellow writer here.

I am currently writing works that I would like adapted into manga form and I was curious as to how big the manga/anime community was here.

A few questions ^.^

Is there a manga/anime that you admire for it’s story?

Is there a manga/anime that has inspired you to write?

Lastly, is there a manga/anime you would recommend based on it’s creative story?

NOTE: If you have spoilers in your post for an anime/manga, please have a warning.

It’s very very small here unfortunately. I grew up with manga (and anime but never liked it) and I’ve read a ton. For shoujo, anything from Tamura Yumi sensei is pure gold in terms of storyline and characterization. Basara will always be the most epic story ever created regardless of medium for me. A masterpiece by a true genius. I’m mostly inspired by Tamura sensei In everything I do.

For shonen, Takehiko Inoue’s Vagabond, Ikegami Ryuichi’s Santuary (and most others), Yoshihiro Togashi’s Hunter x Hunter. There are a lot more if you like these brutal mangas.

And while I don’t like animes and prefer the manga version, the greatest anime of all time (if not the best Space Opera of all time) would be The Legend of Galactic heroes. Anime so complicated and adult it requires an LOGH 101 class, a note, a chart, a dictionary, and your hand on the rewind button because you went to get a drink for a second and … whoaaa what did I miss? Every word that comes out of the characters’ mouth are important and you’ll be tested 50 episodes down the line if you had been listening lol

1 Like

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.

Yes, that is my answer to all three of those questions.

It’s split up into parts, each one taking place in a different time period with the main character also changing with it (most of the time they would be descendants of the previous main character).

While parts 1 and 2 are a bit of a chore, it gets better from part 3 and above.

2 Likes

I prefer watching films instead of series (cause I just do,n’t have the time and commitment). I’m a sucker for Castle in the Sky, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Into The Forest of Fireflies Light and everything Makoto Shinkai has done.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has had a profound impact on me and my writing (I cried so much ugh).

I’d recommend Your Name for its story. He took a familiar trope and completely fucked us with it. And of course Spirited Away, for its utter absurdity.

1 Like

Yes, the anime: Say I Love You was one that I admired for its story.

Mmmm? Well, I got inspired by Diabolik Lovers Cracks on YouTube if that counts… Lol but on a serious note I was inspired by: The Crossroad’s Artemisia on Webtoon.

I’d recommend Clinic of Horrors on Webtoon.

Welp…

2 Likes

I would recommend watching and reading Demon Slayer. It has really neat backstories.

For slice of life/romcom I would suggest Monthly Girls’ Nozaki or Wotakoi.

Also, I recently started reading Tower of God and the story looks really promising.

1 Like

I am SO with you on that one!

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of Fairy Tail. Too bad it’s on its last season :frowning:
The manga that inspires me the most is Attack On Titan, as brutal as it is.
I would actually recommend those two bc i’m still exploring manga and anime myself.

1 Like

Is there a manga/anime that you admire for its story?

Fullmetal Alchemist.

Is there a manga/anime that has inspired you to write?

Fullmetal Alchemist.

Lastly, is there a manga/anime that you would recommend based on its creative story?

Fullmetal Alchemist.

drops mic

2 Likes

“Is there a manga/anime that you admire for its story?”
Gintama - almost every ark is awesome!

“Is there a manga/anime that has inspired you to write?”
Gintama - the mix of a serious plot experienced through ridiculous characters in a slightly ridiculous world - that’s my story in a nutshell.

“Lastly, is there a manga/anime that you would recommend based on its creative story?”
Basically having a seizure Gintama!

1 Like

I figured :slightly_frowning_face: It’s nice to see some people here with a passion for writing and manga/anime ^.^

I prefer manga versions myself, they usually contain more details and I love seeing the drawings change as the characters grow and change.
I’ve heard of some titles you’ve mentioned. I will certainly look into the ones I haven’t read yet. Also it’s funny you mention Hunter x Hunter because I recently watched the whole anime and it pulled me out of my hiatus with writing. Mainly because I fell for a character :joy:

I’ve heard of that one, I always hear great things and my husband loves it too. I haven’t watched it but I will add it to my list! It sounds sophisticated and I really admire a work that makes you think and pay attention. It makes me think the author is really smart or something and I wonder if I could get to that level :sweat_smile:

Yeeeess! :clap::clap::clap:

I love JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and I agree with most of what you said. I think it is incredible the author can do that with characters over generations. The author actually released a book on creating manga and I bought it b/c that’s the field I want to be in. I read it and I have changed certain parts of my own stories based on his advice and it was just so great to read his tips and ideas, and what he did to make his writing even better. I think it is cool when a author does that.

Something else I really like about his work is the fashion choices for the characters. I’m not sure if it’s all him but he did a great job of making his work stand out.

Lastly, I did enjoy parts 1 and 2. Actually 2 is my favorite b/c of the pillar men :joy: I liked all parts but for me that part was golden ^.^

Understandable, it’s hard for me still to watch or read anything longer than a movie. If I read/watch a series I tend to binge watch till the end lol :sweat_smile: Not the best habit but I get it done.

Those are some really great titles. Some I haven’t watched but I know they are generally loved all around. I need to watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, sounds like it really touched you. You know those are the best ones that keep you feeling long after the movie is done.

I’ve heard of Your Name, it’s on my to watch list! So much greatness out there I’m missing out on!

Yea, Spirited Away is an OG, I always loved that movie but No Face with always freak me out lol

1 Like

I always curious about Say I Love You, I’ll have to check it out.

lol yes that can count. I heard that Diabolik Lovers got a season 2.

I haven’t really been on Webtoon. I’ve heard of it but never got around to it. You seem to get a good amount of inspiration there.

Also thanks for the video :smile:

1 Like

I love backstories, it’s always cool to see how they fit with the overall story as well. I will put Demon Slayer on my list to read!

Thanks for the life/romcom suggestion! I’m curious have you heard of Fruits Basket? It’s a story I really enjoy and I think was crafted well.

Tower of God, sounds interesting. What is it about?

No problem… Lol

Yes I watched all seasons. I’m waiting for season 3 and welp still waiting.

Yep Webtoon has some really great content. It’s pretty inspiring. I’d like to make a Webtoon one day too.

Right!?

1 Like

Ah, Fairy Tail, still haven’t gotten around to that one yet. I have the author’s other work though, called Rave Master. I have in manga form, I think it has an anime but I remember people saying it wasn’t adapted well unfortunately.

I love Attack On Titan and as brutal as it is, I love it. I love dystopian titles anyhow. It really is written well but I know that’s gonna end soon too. In the manga anyway. I think there will probably be another season or two more of the anime.

That’s good to explore! For anime I recommend watching Hunter x Hunter if you haven’t watched it yet. For manga I recommend Parasyte. That series does have an anime but personally I favor the manga a bit more. and it’s not slightly censored. It is fairly gory though. But if you watched Attack on Titan, it should be no problem for you.

O nice! Did season 2 end like there was gonna be a season 3? I only have season 1 so I need to catch up.

I will have to look there. My husband says if I ever get my works into manga form I should post on Webtoon. Maybe we will both post there one day. :blush:

1 Like

Yep… they announced. Hopefully next year it’ll be here. I watch the dubbed version though so I’ll probably have to wait longer.

Yeah I’m actually applying to do a 2D animation course this year to help me draw so I can hopefully one day post on Webtoon.

1 Like