Why Fanfiction?

I enjoy playing around with characters that belong to other people and heck, I like the lovely responses I get from my readers. It’s harder to make people care about characters they don’t know.

#1: Why do you write fanfiction?

For me, fanfiction gives me an easy escape from my day to day. It comes easier for me to disappear into an already made world than to have to look at one of my half built original worlds and wonder where I need to build next. I also love spending time with people who love the fandoms as much as I do. I’m a pretty introverted person, and this space allows me to breathe a little easier. I know that my readers care about my characters just as much as I do. It’s a really rewarding feeling.

#2: What’s the biggest problem that you have with fanfiction?

I’m fiercely proud of my writing. It’s a really big part of who I am, but when it comes to my fanfiction, I always have this feeling of dread that other people will judge me for it. And the rational part of me says, “who care what they think”. But then the nervous part of me clams up. Ugh…it’s hard.

#3: Best and worst experience with a fanfiction?

When I first discovered Wattpad, I remember scrolling through all the fanfictions and adding a ton to my library. I remember it was summer time, and I curled up into my bed to read. Before I knew it, I could all of a sudden hear birds chirping. I had stayed up literally all night reading! I smile back on that memory all the time.

The worst experience I had with a Fanfiction was when I was reading a story and after each update the author would state that she need so many reads, votes, and comments before she would even consider updating again. She was extremely aggressive about this fact. Often sending posts reminding all her readers that we hadn’t met her quotas. I just remember feeling awful whenever I saw her posts! I think some good came out of it though. I unfollowed her, stopped reading her story, and promised that I would try to cultivate a community on my page that didn’t care about all the numbers.

I feel that! My Walking Dead fanfic lets me kinda process all my emotions that have to do with the show! I don’t know how I would handle all my feelings if I couldn’t put them down on a page :smiley:

That’s very relatable!

Same. It really helps take you away from the stress of work/school.

Oh, that’s annoying! I really don’t like when people do that.

So, I haven’t added a question for a while, so here we go!

#5 What do you do when you start writing a fan-fiction, but then realize half-way through that you’ve lost that burst of inspiration?

I recently wrote my first Fanfiction and I had so much fun doing it! It was so exciting to be able to tell a story about characters I already loved and to get to develop them more. It felt like a safe way to “try my hand” at writing and I was so happy it got a positive response from my readers!

That being said, I am a big stickler for staying true to the characters in Fanfiction. I have a hard time getting past out-of-character writing, especially if it doesn’t seem like it serves a purpose in the story. I like to be able to recognize the characters I am reading. I wrote a Dramione Fanfic and spent a lot of time making sure I stayed true to the characters. I was very happy that many of my reviewers commented on that because then I knew I delivered.

Fanfiction is so much fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who is starting out. It gave me the confidence to start writing my own original stuff, and I’m also working on another Fanfiction as well just because I enjoy writing them.

Man, it’s just fun, isn’t it? :slight_smile: It’s just what I keep coming back to, year after year… I love the challenge of it, it’s a unique challenge in that you can skip most of the worldbuilding of other fiction (the world’s generally already built for you!), and focus more on character, and creating something unique and new from a well-traveled path, while still maintaining the spirit of your source material… I don’t know, it’s just a very different kind of storytelling from what I used to do, and it’s very rewarding for me :slight_smile: It’s also been kind of a comfort thing, personally; I can delve into characters I connected with when watching a movie, for instance. In doing so, I delve into my own emotions and experiences, on a level I maybe wouldn’t have a chance to do so otherwise.

Yeah, getting to delve into the characters you love more is amazing!

Preach. This is so important to me, even in an AU

Yeah, it is.

True. World building is hard, not saying that you should shy away from it, but focusing on characters is just…more exciting to me.

Well, I write fanfiction because, like @sugarfree said, sometimes when I watch my favorite anime, I always imagine the “What if’s…”

Also, it’s nice to see two combined universe sync into one.

Same here… I love worldbuilding but the characters are really my reason for writing anything, be it fanfiction or other fiction, so I too find it the most exciting and interesting aspect :slight_smile:

Wow! What a beautiful take on the whole definition of fanfiction. Love it :heartbeat:

#4: What’s your favorite fandom to write for?

Obviously my favorite fanfiction to write for is Walking Dead since my main story lies in that fandom. I also wrote a lot of Supernatural (Destiel :P) one summer, but kinda got away from it. Recently though I’ve felt this pull to write in the Phantom of the Opera fandom, but there’s just not that big of a following here on Wattpad. So I don’t know what to do with that…

#5: What do you do when you start writing a fanfiction and lose that burst of inspiration?

I think I try to seek out another aspect of the fandom besides writing. Like I’ll watch some of my favorite episodes, look up gif sets, etc. Sometimes you just have to put something on the page though. Like even if it’s complete poop, at least you put some words! There’s always editing to be done. I often find that if I’m stuck in one scene that I’m writing, and I just plow through to finish the chapter, I can go back and read the whole chapter and find what that scene is missing.

I started writing fanfiction before I heard of fanfiction. I was obsessed with Twilight. And like, a lot of people read my fanfiction. I couldn’t be more than 10 years old. Knowing that it’s still out there somewhere makes me cringe.

But I write Doctor Who fanfiction now to practice for my book. I develop my own OC’s. Plus The Doctor is quite a hard character to write, so it’s very good practice.

Let’s See ! Well when , I started reading or watching fandoms, I thought if this would have happened instead of that , it would be more likeable.
Then , I read more fanfics and started to feel like that. ( No offense to any fanfic authors)
Then, I started to write fanfics that would satisfy my needs and others who had thought along the same line as me.
So, that’s how it happened.

Oooo! I love Doctor Who, as you see with my icon. I agree, the Doctor is a complex character to write with, but I’m glad you’re tackling it. I’ll take a look at your book.

thank you so much, i appreciate that!

I SAW ATTACK ON TITAN AND MY LITTLE FANGIRLING SELF COULDN’T GET OVER IT and that was how it all started.

On a serious note, I was pretty bad at writing so I wanted to improve, alongside reading some bland FF that did not leave me satisfied so I felt the need to add my mediocre contribution and perspective.

• Because I love the characters and also having ideas

• Because it’s fun.

• “No they should be together” and “No, that ending is shit.”

• “Okay, but what if…”

I write fanfiction for several reasons.

One: Because I like to get inside the character’s heads, and I often think “Boy, just imagine what the character would do in THIS situation!” And then, I have to go write it, because if I don’t, the thought just swirls in my head until it becomes a distraction!

Two: The backstory stuff you guys mentioned…I have one I need to get back to finishing called Growing Up Tenten that’s about where Tenten from Naruto even came from.

Three: Shipping!!! It is practically impossible to find fandom I’m in that I cannot find a ship for. (I won’t go “they want to kill each other, they must love each other!” but there will be some kind of ship somewhere! Like, oh! Those two random background characters in that one episode were soooo cute! I’m writing a fic!)

Four: I just need more story! A good example here: Samurai Champloo. It’s also a good example of a story I just needed ship satisfaction for. I mean, the way that anime ended…

Five: It’s like acting…on a page! And the characters are already there for me to get into!