Would you read an urban fantasy, modern Robin Hood retelling?

question
discussion

Beyond that, the tradition of story telling, itself (folk tales and all that) was all about REtelling a story in your own way, not just inventing a new story. Originality was never of value when it came to the core elements of the story. It was all about how you spin it as the story teller.

Fairy tales and folktales were literally stories, that were passed around and retold by people, first orally only before people like Perrault and the Grimms started writing them down. But even those did what we would consider copying today as they retold each other’s stories and made then their own. Thats why there are so many different versions of one single fairy tale.

Not to mention how practically all stories we have are technically retellings. Even Romeo and Juliet was a retelling of a poem, that was a retelling of an old folkstory, that is presumed to have grounds in greek myth.

I mean, if we break things down far enough, theres only a handful of possible stories ever told. It really just depends on how particular you are about story elements.

Every culture pretty much has the same stories and I find that very reassuring.

It shows us how connected we really are.

Thanks! Took some mind wracking honestly!

I can only imagine!

What does that say about humanity? Regardless of culture and history, are our brains all wired the same way that we end up with the same stories? Or is it about the limited amount of input? We are all exposed to the same elements in the world and that limits our story telling?

I think it shows that there are basic drives for all of humanity.

We all are seeking meaning in an often meaningless world.

Stories help us process the world around us. They help us connect or escape depending on our need in the moment.

Maybe in the first season the main character thinks hes robin hood, but the show very quickly devolves into mind screwing psychological terror. Its about as much a Robin Hood retelling as The Departed is a retelling of Starsky and Hutch. Couldn’t be more different.

As far as robin hood retellings… why not go for a Sherlock Holmes retelling, since we’re exploring the most commonly used and re-configured stories around? (sarcasm implied)

That being said, tropes are not cliches, so use your tools wisely.

Depends on how well it’s written.

The go-to line that covers all bases on this site. :wink:

Yup! I was feeling lazy.

Honestly I’ve never watched it. I just know that the original premise involved the hackers trying to eliminate world debt.

And that everything goes haywire from that concept.

Which seems to me the thing to do when working with a classic premise like Robin Hood - go buck wild with it!

oh… well… yeah you pretty much get the idea lol

Oh come on! This was a fun thread. Debates on the nature of story telling, humanity… a gluttonous serving of egotism.

This thread made my day a little better.

I’ve read the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (a retelling of Snow White, Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel, all in a trilogy that connects with each other) and the Splintered series by AG Howard (a retelling of Alice in the Wonderland). I can’t forget, A Whole New World by Liz Braswell (a retelling of Aladdin). There are only a few similarities plot wise, but after that… everything goes wild. To create a whole new world (pun intended) with characters that aren’t yours or characters similar to others, crafting it in a way that doesn’t come off as some cheap revamp, is surely creative.

You make it seem like it’s terrible to write a retold when it’s the opposite. It’s exploring new avenues and leaves the readers still loving the classics. I mean, BBC retold Sherlock Holmes. Was that shit? In my opinion, no. It was interactive and fun.

It also leads me to this. I would like to believe that everyone realises that they’re always rewriting a version of something that was already told, and I don’t think it’s smart to question someone’s intellect regarding that. It’s not about improving a story. I don’t think that the classics could be improved. It’s about, “What ifs…”

“What if Little Red Riding Hood was trapped in the wolf’s stomach? How would you start her story?”

“What if Jack never planted the beanstalk? What if someone else did and the story is told two years later, in a setting that mimics a dystopia?”

“What if the “Masque of the Red Death” was told in the modern era?”

It’s about creating an alternate universe of these immortal stories – exploring new avenues, new circumstances that these characters have to face. Yes, it was retold but it was created in a way that only the author who retold the story can tell. Limiting someone’s creative range is dangerous, to say the least. There aren’t any rules prohibiting us from retelling stories. I think the most creative thing a writer can do is shape an already told story into something new, something different and never told. That takes a lot of imagination and ingenuity.

Sure, go for it. As long as you make it different and make it your own. The assertion that this can’t be done…twitch…annoys me.

Dude… a movie just came out about it of course people love RH

Almost every culture has at least one myth that is similar to some other. And most of the old tales have the same moral.

I guess it just depends on how we tell the same story than what we tell that has major impact. Of course content of the story matters, but still.