Would you read an urban fantasy, modern Robin Hood retelling?

question
discussion

I think I’m in love with you! :slight_smile:

:kissing_heart:

I’d be curious to know whether you are writing a retelling of — or — a story inspired by Robin Hood.

To answer the question: probably wouldn’t read it because it had anything to do with Robin Hood (and similarly wouldn’t keep reading because it has a popular origin). The story itself would have to grab me.

It’s more of inspired by, honestly.

I’d so read this because I love the idea of it!!!

Thank you for your positive opinion!

somewhere - there is a guy called Hood who hates this story.

Well, maybe, except Rob-in Hood, means to to rob in a hood.

Yeah - the play on words wasn’t lost on anyone although I think calling it “Robbing Hood” works better personally - but regardless…I was extending someone else’s joke. :wink:

and surely you mean “Rob in da hood” not “rob in a hood”… :slight_smile:

Since you first posted this, I felt like I had seen or heard this idea somewhere real familiar to me, but couldn’t place it.

I was just digging in my writing vault where I keep ideas to write about later. It was there. :joy:

Was urban fantasy modern Robin Hood Retelling there?

Nah. Man, you can take the whole idea. I have crazy lists of half fleshed out ideas in that vault, but this one was the shortest entry that just said: “Modern Robin Hood… what would that look like?”

Ah, I’m glad, not that I would mind it at all. Any fleshed out ideas you’re actually working on?

Yeah. I was looking around my vault for whatever notes I had left in there on the story I’m currently toying with. I really shouldn’t be. I’ve already got like 3 open projects I need to finish and a few more that I need to severely edit. But I’m really excited about this idea, so I figured I’d better do something with it while its hot.

If this isn’t every writer’s dilemma. :sweat:
Take it from someone who tried to do it before, focus on one project at a time, while writing notes on other projects, without actually writing them, it really would make you much more productive!

Agreed. But life has been rather stressful lately and just getting myself to write anything has been hard. So instead of forcing myself to focus on one, I’m letting myself drift to whatever keeps me interested at the time.

Maybe next year I’ll have an easier job and can manage to stay focused.

wow this thread blew up

Throwing my two cents in here. Basically, you do you, boo. If you have a story you’re itching to tell and that just so happens to be a Robin Hood inspired urban fantasy, then by all means dazzle us. If we really want to get down to the nitty-gritty, no story is original. I don’t care who you are or what you’re writing, everything has been done because storytelling follows very set paths predating our ability to jot things down on papyrus.

So swallow that pill now. What you’re about to write has been done but it’s never been told by YOU. So go on with your bad self and write it. I’m one of those people who loves retellings. Hell, one of my finished manuscripts is a pagan retalling of Beauty and the Beast and I’ve got two other stories on the back burner following the same vein. I love the story formula so I’m going to explore it where I can. If Robin Hood is your thing, write it and screw anyone who says otherwise.

Thank you so much for your advice, I’ll gladly follow it!

Glad I could help motivate =)