Would Your Character Survive 3.0 - Thread 17 (ALWAYS WANTING AND ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS!)

writing
writing-prompt
games
game

That’s understandable

Okay, is it okay if I add the password to the next post that I make?

Sorry, it ended up being kind of long

PROMPT CLOSES IN 25 HOURS

IT WAS THE END OF A VERY, VERY LONG DAY. ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED, YOU STUMBLE HOME TO FIND A PACKAGE SITTING ON THE DOORSTEP. YOU TAKE IT INSIDE AND OPEN IT. INSIDE IS A STRANGE METAL DEVICE, SOME SORT OF MACHINE, YOU THINK.

THE SOUND OF THE PHONE RINGING DISTRACTS YOU. “HELLO? YOU’RE ALIVE! THANK GOD. LISTEN, YOU DON’T KNOW ME YET, BUT I’M BLUE. I’M GUESSING YOU FOUND THE DEVICE ALREADY?”

YOU ASK HOW ‘BLUE’ KNOWS YOU, BUT SHE CUTS YOU OFF. “LISTEN, THERE’S NOT MUCH TIME. RED IS GOING TO KILL YOU.”

UNNERVED AND CONFUSED, YOU HANG UP THE PHONE. THEN THERE’S A KNOCK AT THE DOOR. FRUSTRATED, YOU GO TO ANSWER ONLY TO MEET A MAN IN A RED COAT. BEFORE YOU CAN SAY SOMETHING, HE PULLS OUT A GUN.

“I’M SORRY,” HE SAYS. “YOU MUST DIE SO EVERYONE ELSE CAN LIVE.” HE SHOOTS, AND YOUR VISION TURNS BLACK.

THEN, YOU WAKE UP IN YOUR BED. RELIEVED THAT IT WAS JUST A DREAM, YOU GO THROUGH YOUR DAY AGAIN. AS YOU PASS THROUGH YOUR DAY, YOU THINK ABOUT THE DREAM AND WONDER WHAT IT MEANS. YOU START TO NOTICE THAT SOME OF YOUR FRIENDS/COWORKERS/ALLIES ARE GONE, BUT WHEN YOU ASK ABOUT THEM, NOBODY KNOWS WHO YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT. WHEN YOU GET HOME, THE SAME PACKAGE IS WAITING THERE.

THEN THE PHONE RINGS AGAIN. IT’S THE SAME VOICE YOU HEARD IN YOUR DREAM, ONLY THIS TIME, BLUE IS MUCH MORE FRANTIC. “LISTEN TO ME! YOU DON’T HAVE ANY TIME! YOU NEED TO DESTROY IT!” BEFORE YOU CAN ASK ANY QUESTIONS, THE LINE GOES DEAD.

THE DOORBELL RINGS. YOU HESITATE, REMEMBERING YOUR DREAM, AND APPROACH THE DOOR CAREFULLY. BUT BEFORE YOU CAN OPEN IT, THE MAN IN THE RED COAT SHOOTS THROUGH THE DOOR, KILLING YOU AGAIN.

AS YOU WAKE UP IN YOUR BED AGAIN, YOU REALIZE THAT SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG. YOU GO THROUGH YOUR DAY, BUT YOU CAN’T FIND ANYBODY YOU KNOW. IN FACT, IT SEEMS THAT EVERYONE YOU KNOW HAS JUST CEASED TO EXIST. YOU GO HOME, READY TO FIGHT THE MAN THIS TIME, BUT SOMETHING’S DIFFERENT.

THE PHONE CALL FROM ‘BLUE’ NEVER COMES. AS YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE, YOU FIND A NOTE WRITTEN IN BLUE INK. “I’LL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING LATER,” IT SAYS, “BUT YOU NEED TO DESTROY THIS DEVICE. MILLIONS OF LIVES ARE AT STAKE. PLEASE.”

YOU SET THE NOTE ASIDE, BUT FIND ANOTHER NOTE UNDERNEATH, WRITTEN IN RED INK. “DON’T TRUST BLUE,” IT SAYS. “I CAN END IT. JUST GIVE IT TO ME.”

DO YOU FOLLOW THE BLUE NOTE? OR DO YOU FOLLOW THE RED NOTE? DO YOU FIGHT THE MAN, OR DESTROY THE DEVICE? THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

POWERS AND WEAPONS ALLOWED.

(ALSO, AS A GENERAL RULE OF THUMB, HOW MUCH YOU CHOSE TO WRITE IS UP TO YOU. YOU CAN START YOUR RESPONSE WITH YOUR DECISION OR YOU CAN TREAT YOUR RESPONSE LIKE A STORY AND START WRITING FROM THE BEGINNING OF A PROMPT. IT’S UP TO YOU.)

If anyone needs clarification hmu

I don’t have time to write a story in these 25 (23!) hours (tests), so I’ll just say that my character chose to give the box to Red. Done.

I’m curious as to what other people will say.

It doesnt have to be super long the time goes by a lot quicker than you think

If nobody else responds I could slap another 24 hours on the deadline lol

Character submitted: Devyn Tave

I tap the box. Obviously, I don’t have much time. If I give the device to Red, then, well, if Blue’s right, millions will die. If I destroy the device, then I’ll die. The device is surprisingly light and looks easy to break. Just one throw - just one throw toward the wall, and it’d be in pieces.

The doorbell rings. My heart starts pounding. It rings again, and I hear a click. No. No. It can’t happen again. I have to change this never-ending circle, make it stop.

I don’t hesitate. I won’t hesitate, bitch - My hand flies up and everything slows down. At the same time the door crashes down on the floor, bits of wood flying everywhere, the device shatters against the wall.

“Do it,” I say to Red, “shoot me.”

But it’s done. The device is gone. It’ll never come back.
The only question: What now?

I WON!!!

Character: Parker Bernall
Book: Reaper (Not Published)

This was the third time he’d lived through the day, and Parker Bernall was starting to think he was crazy—well, crazier than he normally was, seeing as how he could see dead people.

But the Groundhog Day-esque scenario was different than the movie, because everyone he knew somehow wasn’t there, and no matter how much he asked, everyone looked at him weirdly, and asked him if he was okay.

He wanted to tell them he wasn’t, but he couldn’t. All he could do was go home, get the call from Blue, and get shot by Red. And the day would start over again.

But something was different that day.

When he got home, the package was outside his front door, though that wasn’t surprising. He picked it up and went inside, and set it down on the counter of the kitchen, which was usually full of the laughter of his younger sister, but now empty.

He sighed and looked at the phone, waiting for Blue to ring him.

Only, she didn’t.

He frowned at the phone, and looked down at the package. It was then that he realised he hadn’t actually opened it since that first day. So, he took his keys and cut the tape closing it, then opened the box.

Inside was the device, but on top of it was a letter, written in blue ink: I’ll explain everything later, but you need to destroy this device. Millions of lives are at stake. Please.

He blinked at the note. So, instead of calling, Blue had written him a letter.

Why couldn’t she destroy it? He had nothing to do with it.

He put the letter to the side to look at the device properly, only to find another note, this time written in red: Don’t trust Blue. I can end it. Just give it to me.

He looked up at the wall on the other side of the room, taking that information in. Don’t trust Blue , it said, but it didn’t say why.

If only he could read minds, instead of seeing dead people. That would be a good power to have, but it wasn’t like he could choose what supernatural creature he was. He couldn’t change that he was a Reaper.

He looked back down at the box and picked up the device inside, turning it around in his hand, wondering what it was. It looked very futuristic, like something that wouldn’t be out-of-place in Star Trek or Doctor Who . And he had no idea what it did.

A knock sounded at the door, and his beat skipped a beat as he looked up at it.

Red was there.

He had to choose what to do.

Parker wasn’t a very trusting man. To be honest, he didn’t trust Blue, and hadn’t since her first phone call; because from what he gathered, she was the reason he was in the endless loop he found himself in. And he didn’t believe that one tiny device could cause the deaths of millions—but even so, millions was only a small portion of the world’s population.

He made his way to the door, his mind made up. He opened it, and saw Red in his red cloak, a futuristic gun in his right hand.

“Don’t trust Blue,” he said, and held up his left hand.

Parker placed the device on Red’s palm. “I don’t.”

If millions did die, it wasn’t like it would be his fault—he was pushed into something he didn’t know, and he couldn’t be held responsible.

Besides, if they did, it would only mean a bit more work for Parker and his kind.

The door closed in front of him, and he was happy with his decision.

Alfie stared at the machine, then back at the two notes, one by a stranger he’d never met, and another by the guy who’d straight up murdered him twice already. He took the machine in his hands and backed away from the door. He probably had moments, at the most, before there was another knock, another gunshot, and another death.

Suffice to say, there was no time to waste.

With the box under one arm, he moved through the flat and into the kitchen, where he locked the door, shut the blinds, and stared down at the machine. What it was, he had no idea. What it did, he had no idea. Why Red was willing to kill for it… he wasn’t sure he even wanted to know.

One thing he did know was people were vanishing, he was stuck in some kind of time loop, and this lump of metal had everything to do with it. He released a breath.

Before he could make a decision as to what to do, the knock on the door he’d been waiting for sounded through the flat. He glanced back at the kitchen door. Don’t trust Blue, the note had said. Alfie didn’t, not really, but if Red thought he was going to trust his two-time killer anymore, he had another thing coming.

The machine had to go.

Alfie threw open the microwave door and shoved the machine inside, switching it on to the highest power and slamming the door shut.

I have some time so maybe I’ll respond to this prompt

Ok! Did you need more time? I have enough response to close this today, unless you need more time.

(Character submitted: Shionyx, AKA Candy Man)

I walked in and slammed the door behind me, exhausted. It had been a busy day. The Gumdrop Goons found the hideout of one of our rivals and we raided their headquarters. It had been a long, hard fight, but we were certain the Skullers were crushed and gone for good. I looked in my hands at the odd package lying on my doorstep. My first thought was that it was a bomb, left from one of the few surviving Skullers. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was true.

I unwrapped the packaging to reveal a small, strange metal device. It was whirring and clicking at random, although I couldn’t figure out for the life of me what the hell that thing was. The phone rings and interrupts my thoughts.

“Shionyx here, hello who is this?” I said mechnically.

“Hello? You’re alive! Thank god. Listen, you don’t know me yet, but I’m Blue. I’m guessing you found the device already?”

“Do I know you? Do you even know me?”

“Listen, there’s not much time. Red is going to kill you!” she said. I snorted with laughter. “I’m being serious!”

“Well then, he’ll just have to wait in line with everyone else,” I said with a smirk, hanging up the phone. That was a…peculiar phone call. Definitely confusing, not to mention a little unnerving. She knew I had gotten some strange device. Was she here right now? Could she see me?

Someone knocked at the door of my apartment. I unlock the door and meet a man in a red trenchcoat. Before I could say or do anything his arm darts forward, quick as lightning, and punches me in the throat. Choked from air, I fall to my knees and desperately struggle to breath. I feel his foot pushing me to the ground and a gun barrel against the side of my head.

“I’m sorry,” he says. “You must die so everyone else can live.”

The last thing I hear before my vision turns black is the muted sound of a silenced gunshot.

That’s when I jolted awake from my slumber. My breathing is rapid and I feel a sheen of sweat on my forehead. I look around, confused and disoriented. It was…just a dream? Okay. Okay! Well, on the bright side, I’m not dead! Then again, on the downside, we didn’t actually wipe out the Skullers…damn. The Skullers were a pain in the ass for my criminal empire. Their competition’s bringing down my profits.

I drive to HQ in a semi-pissy mood. Licorice Ninja greets me at the door and fills me in as we walk down the hallway.

“You’ll be happy to hear that Arnold Bernstein is no more,” Licorice said joyfully. It wasn’t too surprising- Licorice Ninja has never failed me yet when I needed someone assassinated. He wouldn’t be hear unless his quarry was dead.

“Good job.” Licorice beamed at me with a crooked smile. “Now, if you will, could you please get Taffy and-”

I was suddenly interrupted as the doors burst open and someone came running in. They stopped in front of me and opened their mouth to say something but they were too out of breath. I was surprised to see Gumdrop George here. Last I checked I had sent him and the rest of my Gumdrop creations to monitor the activity of the Skullers. Unless…

“Sir, we’ve found them!” he exclaimed breathlessly.

“Skuller HQ.” I whispered.

“Yeah! How did you know? They’re down over on Winston Street. The big ole abandoned warehouse.”

I was immensely confused, not to mention experiencing a severe case of deja vu. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts.

“Okay! This is great news. Licorice, could you please fetch me Taffy?”

He looked at me, confused. “Who?” he asked.

“Taffy. Taffy Tafortla. My secretary?”

“I have no clue who you’re talking about. Sprinkle has been your secretary for years,” he said blankly. “Are you okay? Did you get enough sleep?”

I was even more confused than before. First, everything’s repeating, and now Taffy is gone?! What the hell is going on!?

Then it hit me: Taffy was gone. Taffy…she was gone. She had brought me through thick and thin, saved my life more times than I could count, and has been with me since the very beginning, back when she was nothing but an experiment gone horribly right.

I slammed the door behind me, exhausted. The fight against the Skullers had been tough but we won out in the end. I slumped against the door, sitting upright on my carpet. I looked blankly down at my hands, at the package I was holding. I didn’t even need to open it to know what it was.

The phone rang. At exactly the same time as before. I picked myself up and trudged over to the phone, putting it on speaker.

“Listen to me! You don’t have any time! You need to destroy the-” Blue’s voice was replaced with one long, unending beep as the line was cut. The doorbell rang. I swung around, frantically wondering what to do. I approach the door carefully, looking through the peephole.

Nothing but darkness. Phew, that’s a-

Bunk

The muted gunshot came from the other side of the door as he shot through the peephole. My vision turned black. And, once again, I woke up. I was immensely perplexed and disoriented. What the hell was going on? What’s happening?

I rolled out of bed and got out my phone. I quickly dialed the office number. The phone rang until Sprinkle picked it up, her perky high pitched voice easily distinguishable from anyone else.

“What is it Sio?” Sprinkle said curiously. Rage boiled inside of him. Taffy should be on the other side of the line. That was Taffy’s nickname for him.

“Look, Sprinkle, I’ve found the location of Skullers Headquarters.” I could hear her fall out of her chair in surprise.

“B-but didn’t you send the Gumdrops to monitor their activity?”

“Well duh. I had to make sure they wouldn’t find me snooping around,” I quickly lied. “It’s on Winston St, the big abandoned warehouse. I want you to call the Gumdrop Gang and get them prepared for battle. Licorice Ninja, too.”

“Who?”

“Licorice. Licorice Ninja!”

“Sir there is no Licorice Ninja…do you mean Licorice Bladesmith?”

“No, I mean-” I suddenly stopped myself. “Wait a second. Sprinkles, who’s in office today?”

“Hmm…lemme check.”

A few minutes later.

“Well, sir, all fifteen members clocked in today.” Fifteen?! That’s impossible! I’m the leader of a criminal empire! There’s no way in hell I only have fifteen members!

That’s when it clicked. This…cycle. It was slowly erasing everyone I knew. And it would keep going…

Until it erased me too.

I was determined to stay inside all day, not daring to go outside. I would just stay in here and break the cycle by hiding out in my panic room. Those plans, however, were dashed when I walked into the living room and saw the package laying on my couch.

I see a note taped to the package, written in blue ink. “I’ll explain everything later, but you need to destroy this device. Millions of lives are at stake. Please.”

I move the note aside and see another note written in red ink. *“Don’t trust Blue. I can end it. Just give it to me.”

I crumple up both notes and throw them in the trash. This meant war.

The doorbell rang.

I quickly grabbed my candy-cane blade from my wall, the blade whirring dangerously as it sliced through the air. Perfect. I walked gingerly up to the door then stop.

“BUTTERSCOTCH SHIELD!” I shouted. A full-body straight shield materialized, strapped to my arm, and I ducked my head behind it. I heard a muted pop and heard the bullet ricocheted off my shield. I shouldered the shield and charged at the door with it, breaking it down and smacking Red with it. He had been knocked to the ground but quickly scrambled back up as I lunged at him with my sword.

“Just give me the device, and this will all be over!” he shouted. I threw my sword at him, where it stuck, point quivering, into the wall where he was just moments ago.

Damn, this guy’s got skill. I pulled out my lollipop chainsaw, the circular sawblade whirring mechanically as it spin at the end of the handle. I swiped at him, using both the cramped corridor and the reach of my chainsaw to my advantage. He dodged backwards, left with no other option. I lunged at him, swinging the lollipop chainsaw at him in an overhead arc, but fiented the blow and instead ram him with my shield.

I heard a solid “oomf!” as I crashed into him, knocking him off his feet as he landed the dodge roll he preemptively did. I knocked him to his feet and slammed the bottom of my shield into his stomach, winding him.

“Karma’s a bitch, innit?” I said evilly as he started gasping for air. The shield dematerialized and I grabbed him by the neck, drawing a dagger from my belt and holding it inches away from his throat. “This- this is for Taffy.”

“Wait! You don’t know what you’re doichllachahhhaaacccc-” he said, spluttering on his own blood running down into his throat as I sliced open his neck like a fish. I dropped him to floor where he fell, clasping his throat, trying to desperately staunch the flow of blood and breathe. I turned around and walked back into my apartment.

I looked at the package on the couch. I thought about what it had done to me. What it had done to everyone I knew. I felt rage boiling up inside of me. I drew my Choco-Hammer and held it high, the queer device laying on the floor.

“Any last words?”

The machine ticked.

“Good enough for me.”

With a satisfying crunch, I smashed it with the hammer, leaving nothing but broken, shattered pieces.

waiting on one response before I close

Oh, I didn’t know abt the psswrd. Tbh I just read half of the rules and skimmed the other half of it. Probably will be rereading it again

Anybody have the next prompt ready? I don’t think they’ll get the response in today

I gotta prompt. You have to close the other prompt though! There are so many responses, you can close it.

PROMPT CLOSED. RESULTS COMING NOW.