Would Your Character Survive 3.0 - Thread 17 (ALWAYS WANTING AND ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS!)

writing
writing-prompt
games
game

SOLUTION:

THE SOLUTION IS ACTUALLY PRETTY SIMPLE.

THE DEVICE IS CAUSING A TIME LOOP THAT RESETS EVERY TIME YOU DIE. WITH EACH DEATH, TIME GROWS LESS AND LESS STABLE, AS SEEN IN YOUR FRIENDS DISAPPEARING.

HOW TO SURVIVE:

DESTROY THE DEVICE

DESTROYING THE DEVICE WOULD END THE TIME LOOP, BUT IT DOESN’T “RESET” THE WORLD, MEANING THAT ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS ARE PERMANENTLY GONE, BUT HEY, YOU SURVIVED.

GIVE RED THE DEVICE

RED’S NOT A BAD GUY. HE JUST THOUGHT YOU WERE THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TIME LOOPS. AFTER THE SECOND TIME KILLING YOU, HE FIGURED THAT YOU PROBABLY WEREN’T THE REASON TIME WAS REPEATING. AS A PLUS, RED CAN USE HIS POWERS TO RESET TIME TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE, MEANING ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE ALIVE! YAY!

HOW NOT TO SURVIVE:

FIGHT RED.

RED’S NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING THE TIME LOOPS. IF YOU SOMEHOW MANAGED TO KILL HIM, THIS WOULDN’T HAVE SOLVED ANYTHING.

DIE AGAIN WITHOUT DESTROYING THE DEVICE

I MEAN, YOU’RE DEAD. DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

THOSE WHO SURVIVED:

@ETERNAL_FOXGLOVE

THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED FINE!

@SHADOWSETTLE

WITH THE DEVICE GONE, RED DOESN’T HAVE A REASON TO KILL YOU. BUT ON THE OTHER HAND EVERYONE YOU’VE EVER LOVED HAS CEASED TO EXIST, SO… YAY?

@EMILYGJONES

THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED!

THOSE WHO DIED:

NOBODY!

THOSE WHO TECHNICALLY BROKE THE “DON’T WRITE AN ENDING” RULE BUT SURVIVED PLUS I’M NOT SURE IF THAT RULE IS STILL A THING SO I’LL COUNT IT ANYWAYS:

@NOTLIKEYOUTHINK

GREAT JOB! YOU LIVED, AND RED WAS ABLE TO RESTORE REALITY TO THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE!

@THETRUETERRYDACTYL

YOU LIVED! BUTTTTTT EVERYONE YOU KNOW IS STILL DEAD.

THE WINNER:

@EMILYGJONES

WHEN I GAVE THE OPTION OF DESTROYING THE DEVICE I EXPECTED EVERYONE TO JUST BASH IT TO PIECES. I NEVER EXPECTED ANYONE TO STICK IT IN A MICROWAVE. IT REMINDS OF THOSE OLD “CHARGE YOUR PHONE IN THE MICROWAVE JOKES.” PROPS TO YOU FOR HAVING THE MOST CREATIVE WAY TO DESTROY A DEVICE!

HONORABLE MENTION:

@THETRUETERRYDACTYL

I APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT YOU WROTE OUT THE ENTIRE PROMPT! I ENJOYED YOUR CHARACTER’S NON-TRADITIONAL FIGHTING STYLE. (I THINK YOU WON ALREADY SO I’M GIVING IT TO EMILY.)

All done. Is EOW still a thing here or no?

I think so…

Also I tried to leave my reply open-ended, but I survived! Yay!

Just wondering, but what week are we on?

In total?

No clue. This thing’s been around longer than I’ve been on wattpad.

For this thread?

Still no clue. I don’t think we’ve been counting, plus there was a hiatus due to a shift in staff.

Oh, okay. Hmm…

I’ll post a prompt now.

PROMPT CLOSES IN 48 HOURS

EVEN IF YOU’RE NOT A STUDENT NOW, YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A CLASSROOM WITH OTHER PEOPLE, TAKING AN EXAM. YOU LOOK AT YOUR PAPER. IT’S A MATHS TEST. FOR SOME REASON, YOU FEEL INCLINED TO DO IT, SO YOU DO.

HOWEVER, HALFWAY THROUGH THE EXAM, EVERYTHING STOPS. IT’S HARD TO NOTICE AT FIRST, BUT THEN YOU REALISE EVERYONE AROUND YOU HAS STOPPED WRITING. THE RAIN HAS STOPPED POURING. ONLY YOU CAN MOVE.

YOU TRY TO GET OUT, BUT YOU CAN’T. YOU SEEM TO BE GLUED TO YOUR SEAT. YOU CAN MOVE YOUR ARMS AND LEGS AND OTHER PARTS OF YOUR BODY, BUT YOU CAN’T GET YOUR BUTT OFF FROM THE CHAIR. WHAT SEEMS LIKE AN HOUR TICKS BY AND YOU STILL CAN’T MOVE. YOU MUST FIND A WAY TO UNFREEZE TIME AND MOVE AGAIN, OR YOU’LL ROT AND DIE IN YOUR SEAT.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

WEAPONS ALLOWED. POWERS ALLOWED, EXCEPT ANYTHING THAT WOULD LET YOU INSTANTLY UNFREEZE TIME.

Wait, so we can’t move any part of our body? We’re stuck to our seat, right?

hmm… interesting…

No, you can move other parts of your body, it’s just your butt can’t get up from your chair.

Well that makes everything so much easier.

Aniya panicked, craning her head around to see if there was anything in the classroom that was a possible culprit that prevented them from moving.

Nothing.

Taking a deep breath, Aniya focused on finishing her test. Maybe that was the answer to everything? She wasn’t sure, but it was worth a shot. Afterward, if that didn’t work, she would focus on her mind and see if anything was giving off an odd aura and destroy it by strengthening her pencil and throwing it at the object/person. She had come prepared for the test, and in her anxious state, brought a jillion pencils, pens, and erasers with her.

Just saying, Maths would be Aniya’s worst subject, and her aim sucks, so I’m pretty sure she’ll rot and die.

So to be clear, all she did was finish her test, right?

Yup. And then I guess she started randomly destroying stuff with pencils because she just isn’t very strong. :+1:

Randomly destroying stuff with pencils is fun. Okay, thanks for the submission! :blush:

Character: Archie Hardacre
Book Series: Paradise Trilogy (Not Published)

It took Archie Halfacre a while to realise that time had stopped.

The day had been pretty weird so far—that morning, instead of waking up in the Trial of Bones, he had found himself in what looked like a classroom, a teacher handing out that papers for an exam. Strange, but he thought it was a dream. He was still covered in rust and blood, his clothes still tattered, his handmade bow and arrows still on his back, and his knife was still in his left boot. And surprisingly, no one else was giving him strange looks, despite the fact that they were all in identical, pristine uniforms.

He shook his head and blinked as the teacher placed the exam booklet on his desk. It already had his name on it, and above it were the words “Mathematics: Calculators Allowed”. At the top of the desk was a pencil, a pen, a ruler, and a calculator.

Not really knowing what to do, he grabbed the pen and calculator and opened the booklet when the teacher told them to start.

The lull of pens and pencils on paper gave Archie rhythm. He wasn’t sure about a lot of the questions—his school (which was the only school in the City) hadn’t exactly taught maths as vital, considering that literal Paradise existed, and at one point or another, most people would go through the Trials to search for it. But for some reason, he also had a piece of paper that gave him all the formulas, while everyone else had to rely on memory.

It was about an hour into the test when he looked up at the clock to see the time, and realised that the hands weren’t moving. Blinking, he looked around the room, and realised that no one was moving. Even the rain outside had stopped, and was suspended in midair.

Priscilla was right, he was very unobservant.

Blinking, he put his pen down and tried to stand up, only to realise that he couldn’t. His butt was stuck to the chair, and the chair wasn’t moving, like it had been bolted to the ground. Panicking, he kept trying to move, but his feet only scraped the ground, and the chair stayed still.

He swore, tears welling in his eyes from the panic and anxiety that started pooling in his chest.

Where was Basil when he needed him?

His eyes went back to the clock on the wall, for some reason larger than normal clocks. The took up the entirety of the space above the whiteboard at the front of the room, its hands hidden behind glass.

An idea formed in his head, and he pulled his bow and quiver off his back. The bone arrows Redvers had made him jostled inside the leather case as he pulled an arrow out, and he nocked it on the bow. He pulled back the bowstring as much as he could from his position, and on his exhale, let it go.

The arrow soared through the air and hit its mark. Glass shattered, and Archie lowered his bow.

(Character submitted: Trennende)

I sit down at the desk and wait for the test to start. This whole thing is stupid. I’m perfectly qualified for the job. I’m 3,756,958 years old for fucks sake! I have more knowledge than almost being in the entire universe! And yet, just because I don’t have this stupid Earth “High School Diploma”, I’m not qualified! ME! Trennende! Not qualified!? Completely ridiculous!

Whatever. I’ll just ace this stupid exam and show those bastards. It’s just a math test. It’ll be a piece of cake. The teacher signals to begin and I flip over my paper and begin the stupid exam. It was, as I expected, super easy. I flew through it in less than five minutes. I called the teacher over and he collected my paper, bewildered.

I sat back in the chair, resigning myself to almost three hours of boredom.

However, the third hour never came. Sometime before the halfway mark break, everything just…stopped. Everyone froze mid writing. No one blinked. Raindrops hung in the air like glistening jewels. Puzzled, I tried to get up. But it would seem as if I had been quite literally glued to my seat.

Well, shit. It would appear as if Time had froze again. Nothing too big- The Ultimate Guardian of Time and Space (aka TUGOTS) was either running maintenance or working on solving the problem. But I had to admit, I was quite puzzled as to why I was separate from the Time/Space continuum. If Time had froze I should have been as well.

I mean, it’s not unheard of for that to happen on extremely rare occasions. Every millennia or so an anomaly occurs and some creature is born separate from the Time/Space continuum and therefore unaffected by it. Many times, they dont even know their gift. Very few have been confirmed to have it, and very few have been able to use it in any useful way. There’s no reason you’d need to, really- unless you’re fighting TUGOTS and he froze Time to stop you.

But if you’re fighting an Ultimate Guardian then you’re definitely in the wrong. Anyway, I was surprised to see this particular copy was separate. That had never happened before. I closed my eyes and held out my hand beside me, in the space between the desks. After a few moment, a copy of myself was standing there, free from the chair. It seemed as if my copy possessed the same separation. Sweet.

Curious, I began exploring the room while my other copy sat stuck in the chair. I split myself a few more times until I had six or so clones to help explore the room. We looked in cabinets, at the clocks, throughout the entire school. The front doors and exits appeared to be locked. Must be because time is frozen that some mechanism wouldn’t trigger and allow them to open. Oh well.

I wasn’t sure what was wrong. I could move, but had no clue how to unfreeze time.

“Find anything?” I asked.

“No,” I replied. “We didn’t find anything.”

The three clones I sent upstairs came back down.

“Did you find anything?” the first three of me asked.

“No,” I replied in synch with myself.

“Should we check the basement?”

“Yeah I suppose we should.”

The door to the basement was locked. Go figure. So we broke it down. Teamwork!

We descended down the stairs into basement, flashlights in hand. I sweeped the flashlight over the dank, dark room. Nothing of note. Just some random crap and stuff covered in black tarps.

“Well shit. There’s nothing down here.” The other eighteen of me (it was a strong ass door) agreed. We decided to start taking down the tarps.

“Found something!” I shouted on the other side of the room. There was an old, grandfather clock. That wasn’t what was special about it.

The clock was still ticking. Apparently four hours had gone by. We discussed what to do with it. After five seconds of intense debate, we decided to smash it. We grabbed whatever we could get our hands on and beat the hell out of that clock, smashing it to bits.

Thank you for blessing my life with that line.

@XX_TaeNotV_XX Want to respond?