Would Your Character Survive 3.0 - Thread 17 (ALWAYS WANTING AND ACCEPTING NEW MEMBERS!)

writing
writing-prompt
games
game

Samira Nilima Korrapati fucking regretted every fucking thing she’d ever done in any of her past lives and in this one to deserve the stupid fucking migraines, an association with magic and whatever the hell blasphemy it involved, and Benjamin fucking Callaghan Gray as her fucking best friend.

Also Corrine Denae Walters, Mikhail Chaykovski, Emilio Morales, Matthew St. James, and Naseem Kumar as her friends. Them too. Mostly Corrine. Because fuck Corrine.

Ben, on the other hand, had no such qualms, and very little self control, especially when it came to Samira or any of his friends.

So it was no surprise to anyone involved that when his friends began to disappear off the face of the earth, he immediately dragged his one and only best friend into it to figure out what the hell was wrong.

Enter Samira.

Samira put a hand to her temple, wincing in slight pain, and sighed.

“So you’re telling me that they all just magically disappeared? That our entire theater troupe is magically gone? Do you have any idea how completely fucking stupid that sounds?”

“Would I lie to you?” Ben asked earnestly.

“Yes.”

“That is besides the point, I’ve only done it a lot and also I would never.”

“Fuck you, Ben.” Samira sighed again.

“You love me.”

“I love beating you into a wall.”

“Best friends forever.”

“Benjamin. Migraine. Continue.”

“Ok well… This building is probably the source or something, I’d assume, right? Because that’s the last place they were.” Ben offered. “Plus, it’s very suitably creepy and weirdly empty in this office. Do you think they have a copy machine?”

“It’s an office, Ben.” Samira snapped. “What the fuck do you think? God these LEDs are so bright.”

Ben led the way through them myriad of empty desks, occasionally pausing to look around sneakily, thoroughly enjoying his chance to have a spy adventure. Danger was always looking around the corners of a completely and utterly empty office.

Maybe something ate them. That would require all of his video gaming skill to defeat.

One of the phones began to ring.

“Corded phones. Wow. Even my house phone at least doesn’t have a cord.” Samira commented, distaste evident in her voice.

“I’m still stuck on the fact that you have a house phone.” Ben mused. “Is it because you’re just so behind the times or because you hate all of us and thus whitewash us any chance you get?”

“I ought to slap you.” Samira muttered. Ben squished her in a hug, which she didn’t object to, though he did ignore the mumbled swearing and cursing of him and all her past lives.

The phone kept ringing as Samira finally managed to shove her way out of Ben’s grip.

“Well?” She raised an eyebrow at him. “Are you going to pick it up? It’s your stupid ass mission video game self that got us here, after all.”

“Are you kidding me? I don’t touch any electronic device that’s more than three generations old. You pick it up!” Ben declared.

“Ben.” Samira said, exasperation creeping into her tone.

“Nope.” He stared her down, grinning.

“Benjamin Callaghan Gray.” She snapped.

“Nooooope! I meant what I said and I said what I meant!”

“Fine! Fucking fine!” Samira groaned, throwing her hands up in defeat. “Whatever. The things I fucking do for you, honestly. Of all the people I could have had to deal with… I’m being cursed for something, I swear. I just know it.”

She grabbed the phone and answered.

“Director and business bitch Samira Korrapati speaking.”

Ben sort of admired how little she cared about saying things like that.

Her expression then changed from mildly friendly irritation to full on hate driven irritation. The sort of irritation that got Corrine and Mikhail kicked out of the theater and Andrew concussed with a fucking clipboard of all things.

“Would you like to explain this?” She held out the phone and pressed the speaker button.

“-and are you with Ben? Oh my god is Ben there hi Ben! Anyway seriously just like know that I hate you and also you’re my favorite director have I mentioned that before? Please don’t kill me.” Corrine screeched.

“Tell Ben not to touch the phone!” Mikhail called, his voice slightly muddled. “Samira you’re kind of fucked but- OW!”

“DON’T SAY ANYTHING!” Corrine screamed directly into the line. Samira held the phone farther away from her and glared at Ben.

“Blame the Russians! Those dastardly Russians did it!” Matthew yelled.

“Well, yes.” Mikhail admitted.

“I told you so, Samira! Your lying son of a bitch Russian head of tech is behind everything! Shoot him now, shoot him now!” Corrine screamed.

“You keep out of this, he doesn’t have to shoot you now!” Matthew yelled back.

“Fuck all of you.” Samira snapped. “You all make my life absolute fucking misery and I have a migraine. Don’t make me concuss you with a clipboard as well.”

“I can burn down the chemistry department if you’d like.” Corrine suggested.

“No.” Mikhail said. “You leave my chemistry department alone.”

“He loves it more than you!” Naseem called out, sounding farther away.

“No he doesn’t it’s an inanimate object Mikhail you love me right say yes and I don’t hurt you.”

“I thought you loved me!” Ben chimed in, grinning at Samira, who glared back at him.

“No Ben, you’re terrible, we’ve established this.” Corrine responded.

“That’s very rude.” Ben sighed.

“Look.” Samira snapped. “I’m already blaming Ben for all of this since he’s the one who dragged me here and therefore by extension exacerbating my migraine to unprecedented levels. But I’m already being punished for my past lives and I regret every fucking thing ever already so let’s please, for the love of fucking god, not even get into the blasphemy part of this! Now, I’m going home. Have fun with Ben. Good. Fucking. Bye.”

Samira slammed the phone down with another glare at Ben and despite multiple voices emanating from the phone and telling her not to hang up.

Then, much to Ben’s surprise, Samira disappeared.

“Uh… Sam?” Ben stopped grinning and observed the phone, now concerned. The lights in the building dimmed from white and yellow to blue and black. Admittedly, Samira’s migraine probably would have been more exaggerated by that, so maybe it was best she wasn’t there to see it.

With all of his friends now gone, and the office suspiciously empty and much darker, he knew there was only one thing to do first.

Build a desk fort.

Which is exactly what he did.

Half an hour of work later, his fort stood several desks tall, with multiple fortified entrances, including a secret back entrance just in case this was actually the beginning of the zombie apocalypse and not some creepy dream world thing.

The phone rang.

“Hello?” Ben called out. “Is someone here? There’s someone in here, isn’t there? You’re coming to kill us. Did we offend you with our shitty theater references? I’d say we’re sorry but we’re not so please don’t kill me.” No one answered him, but the phone did continue ringing.

“Whoever’s there, I’m part of the Assassins! I’ll kick your ass if you come near me!”

Just in case someone was in fact stalking him, he decided to begin a Creed style parkour sequence around the desks. Whoever was causing all this trouble had absolutely no chance against the might of Ben Gray’s video game knowledge.

Up to the top of his fort, to the convenient four desk platform he had built just in case there was a scenario like this where he would have needed it. He dropped down with all the grace of a man who knew his way around falling in theater, then landed on the floor and rolled out of it.

He’d probably break his neck if he kept up with it, though. Training could only save him for so long. The phone stopped ringing, then started up again. He continued to ignore it.

He looked around the office, observing the plethora of office supplies, including a lot of staplers and tape dispensers, and the suspiciously similar lamps on every single desk. The suspiciously similar lamps.

He gathered up several dozen of them and began making a pile of them. Maybe he could shove them out the window or something. Actually, that wasn’t a bad idea. He began chucking loads of them out of the window. Evil identical lamps. They’d probably come alive and eat someone’s children like the Pixar lamp. Or at least murder all the lowercase i’s in the world.

When this failed to find return Samira (who he missed) or anyone else from the troupe (who he also was concerned about), he tried a number of other things, including praising Lord Helix, building a pyramid of office furniture in the CEO’s office, and sacrificing all the unworthy pens in the office to Lord Helix and any other god he could think of. Mostly video game gods, really. The video games were really doing him justice today.

Meanwhile the phone continued ringing. And ringing. And ringing. And ringing.

The staplers were coming in handy for his stapler art, and also smashing through the overhead lights in a grid pattern. True, there was also glass all over the floor as a result, but it did make for a fabulous checkerboard. He could play checkers or even chess with the desks if he wanted. If he got bored enough. Really, he probably would.

An actual idea came to him for once, though.

He wasn’t sure about touching the phone.

But Fresnel lenses in the various pieces of technology around the office could burn through the cord and shut it off without him even touching the creepy evil phone by extension, while also have the bonus of potentially burning down the office building if he so desired.

That was a fantastic idea. A fabulous idea. Better than the chemistry department incident.

The phone kept ringing as he tore apart a couple of the older TVs and computers to scrounge for the lenses. A jerry rigging of some of the lamp lights would probably provide enough concentration and heat to work, especially with the older lightbulbs. Much like spotlights, they heated up more.

So he aimed the Fresnel lense contraption at the phone cord and melted the plastic away, leaving only the frayed wires, which were kind of sparking oh god this was a bad idea wasn’t it. The acrid smell of charred plastic and smoking carpet filled the office and he ran out before it killed him.

Admittedly, he’d never expected to become an arsonist at 17. But it was probably a great experience. Now he has a valid reason to force the rest of the troupe into doing the genderbent version of the Cell Block Tango.

Pop, six, squish, uh uh, Cicero, lipschitz.

Fabulous.

Then he looked around and realized, suddenly, startlingly, that he was actually in Chicago.

Fantabulous.

Idea credit:

Desk fort- My sister

Pyramid in the CEO’s office- My mother

Pen sacrifice- Krinkle

Assassin’s Creed parkour- Otar

Stapler fun- Otar

Fresnel lenses- My brother

Oh yeah, these guys have no powers. They’re totally normal. (They’re from my/a friend’s musical in progress, Curtain Call.)

The phone’s symphony of rings cluttered my brain, leaving me spinning. Moments prior, the only person I had in this world to call a friend, Don, disappeared without a trace. Everyone was gone, and in this empty world the only thing that broke through the haze of loneliness was that incessant ringing.

My Sword of Light called from the abyss, materializing into me hand. I wanted to slash the phone to pieces, rip the cords from the wall and shatter the remains into oblivion.

Anger seared through me as I lifted my blade to rid this cursed world of whatever virus had infected it, bringing the sword don onto the noisy device.

Sora! Don’t!

Don’s gruff voice called to me as my blade skimmed the top of the machine. I looked around, confused by the tormented voices in my head.

“Don! Ellery!” I called for my companions but nobody responded, reminding me that I am truly alone. One of the desk lamps flicked on and off, a cacophony of lights brightening and darkening.

“Don?” No response.

“Ellery?” the name from my lips brought the light furthest from me to weakly fade into existence. I charged over to the light ignoring the phone calling for me and begging for it’s destruction.

“Elle…” The light shined even brighter the closer I got, pushing the limits for the primitive electronic design. I don’t know how I was supposed to communicate with her but I could feel her presence, she was probably ridiculing me for throwing a tantrum at the phone.

“Can you hear me…turn the light off if it’s a yes”. Immediately the porcelain desk lamp shuttered off, her presence overwhelming it.

“Okay, is Don with you?” The light flashed back on giving my answer a harrowing no.

“Fuck okay. Are you in a void somewhere?” The lamp went dark again. Yes. She was lost in the void of lost souls. Great.

Okay so if she was stuck in the void that meant that the phone was a portal, an accidental one. But every single phone seemed to have rung at the same time, demanding to be heard.

“Do you know who did this? Are they there with you.” The light remained off. Yes.

I looked around, if she was stuck in the dark void that meant whoever did this was a creature of darkness, set on tormenting the souls of those they capture.

“Are you safe?” The lamp seemed to grow in intensity, burning brighter and brighter until the glass shattered, ruining all forms of communication. Fudge.

Don’s teaching seemed to overwhelm me. I couldn’t remember how to get into the dark realm and if I picked up the phones it would lead me into limbo as well, stuck forever with the other lost souls.

Thousands of lessons flashed before my eyes on the varying forms of magic, nothing useful. If only there was a way to shine a light into the portal, able to guide the souls back home. I could easily produce a source myself, but picking up the phone would result in my immediate extinction from this world.

An inspirational presentation was up on the office’s display board through an archaic projector, Reminding the employees that they too can make a difference.

The mantra stuck in my head, but not because I could make a difference. The glowing light from the projector blasted the image on the side of the screen, creating a magical effect these mortals seemed to love.

Wait, thats it.

I raced to the projector and ripped it from it’s home in front of the small screen. Its cord to the wall stretched thin as I pulled it’s main lighting system towards the ringing phone.

“Looks like you guys could use some light in there” Wow I really hope that catchphrase sounded as cool as it did in my head.

I yanked the phone off its standing, blasting the light from the projector into it’s receptor.

Gods, I hope this works

This is from Sora’s Perspective from my series Wielders: Protectors of the Realms :smile:

Wow, a lot of people like this prompt! I’ll leave it open for another day and maybe over the weekend if more people want to respond.

THE CALLING

YOU ALSO NOTE THAT EACH DESK HAS A LAMP, AND THERE’S A PROJECTOR IN THE MEETING ROOM THAT IS TURNED OFF. WHILE YOU THINK OF WHAT TO DO, THE PHONE RINGS AGAIN. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Thea pulled her wand out and began searching the building. She ignored the phone. Watching Jax vanish after the phone call was a pretty good indication that answering the phone was not a good idea.

Thea headed into the conference room, but first cast a shield charm on herself, before using magic to flip the switch on the projector. To her horror, all of her friends were there–she was essentially watching their abduction and torture. As the film came to an end, Thea’s gaze flicked from the screen to the switch on the projector. Using magic, she flipped the switch in reverse, hoping that it would reverse the events, not just in the film, but in real time.

When nothing happened but the film reversing itself, Thea sighed. At least now she knew what had happened, and she began heading out to the other rooms and turning on lamps. Again nothing happened but lamps being turned on. Her shield charm was still going strong.

She headed back to the meeting room. Would the combination of the lights being on and the film in reverse be enough to bring them back?

She flipped the switch using a spell the same way she had before, and again, nothing seemed to be happening, but the film going backwards, but she started to hear noises in other rooms. Thuds and screams. Was it working?

Thea didn’t want to risk leaving the film to find out. As soon as the film finished, she summoned the film itself to her from the projector, inserting it in an empty canister and then wrapped it in her robes, careful not to touch it with her hands. Who knew whether or not the film or anything else in this building for that matter was cursed.

She headed for the doorway only to find it blocked by an eerie sort of light. “Your friends have been set free,” said an eerie voice that seemed to come from the light as the light flashed with every syllable.

“What about me?” Thea asked. “Is my punishment that I don’t get to go free?”

“Not at all,” the voice said again. “This has been a test–we needed to know if there was someone here who could solve it, and you have, but it was only a test. Now we need your help.”

“Are my friends hurt?” She was inclined to help whoever this was if she could, if only to get herself out of this, but she needed to know that they were trustworthy before she struck any sort of deal with them.

“Not at all,” the voice repeated. “The film was a simulation merely meant to ascertain your reaction. Most species do not do so well–they either lack the intelligence, the ability to stay calm in the face of horror, or they lack the compassion to care. You would betray us now if you found us to be untrustworthy, but if we keep our word with you, you will keep yours, and that is all we need.”

“What do you need from me?” Thea asked them.

“A spell…a very special spell, and then you go free.”

Thea took a breath. A spell might not be so hard, but there were some spells that should never be performed. “What spell do you need me to do cast?”

“It is simple–you must vanish us being on your plane. We will go into unbeing, which will take us back to our own plane,” the voice told her.

“Why are you here?” It might not seem to be an important question, but Thea had to be sure that she wouldn’t make things worse by casting the spell.

“It was…an accident. We just want to go home.”

Thea nodded and took another breath before casting the spell. The light vanished from the doorway, and before Thea could make it to the door Jax had run inside, along with her other friends.

“What was that?” Jax asked. “It was blocking the door–we could see you, but we couldn’t get in to get to you.”

Thea shook her head. “I don’t know, but hopefully it’s gone now. Let’s get out of here.” And they all headed for the exit, not one of them turning back.

Time for a round of Griese’s Guestions!

Firstly, do cellphones still work in this building if the character has one or is there like a weird no service situation? Also, will the phone just keep ringing forever or does it like ring and then stop? Are there cameras anywhere in the building? And lastly, if you turn the projector on does anything happen or will answering this question spoil the answer I have many questions

You have one bar of service on your phone. The phone hands up after a bit but another call comes immediately after. You notice a few security cameras positioned around the building. I can’t tell you what happens when you turn on the projector.

oh NICE gotcha gotcha, thanks time to hopefully finish up a response featuring my Depressed Scam Boi and his Dumb Lying Friends!

I’m starting to struggle with fathoming how even with perfectly normal humans I ended so far from the prompt that I’m not sure what happened.

Like I get it with the Author crew considering the amount of meta and fourth wall shenanigans in that universe.

And I get it with the aliens, because some of them are nuts.

But Curtain Call… What

“Nope.” Aster quickly climbed down the stairs, skipping a few steps every so often.

“Nope.” He traveled past the reception desk, not bothering to stop and look around.

“Nope.” Before he exited the building, he turned back and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen from the desk.

“Never.” In giant block letters, Aster wrote the words DO NOT ENTER on the paper and stuck it on the door. Then he picked up some nearby trees and blocked all accessible entrances to the building.

“Alright, Kalo will be fine. He can get out of anything. I’m pretty sure these barricades won’t stop him when he finally gets back from wherever he is. And if he doesn’t, welp, too bad.”

He whirled around and began walking down the street, never to return again.

Yeah, this is a good answer. I’m allowed to do this, right? XD

Okay so Wattpad didn’t save the like 14 paragraphs of reply I wrote last night and now I have to redo a whole bunch and I’m super lazy so I might not actually finish this in time, don’t wait up on me basically I have a BILLION homework assignments to do and Wattpad losing my writing is just the right level of discouraging to make me not want to keep working today SHOT anyways you will meet my dumb blonde scamboi one day even if that day is not today

PROMPT CLOSED.

HOW TO SURVIVE:

DON’T ANSWER. IF YOU DO ANSWER THE PHONE, DON’T HANG UP.

NOTICE HOW YOUR FRIEND DIDN’T DISAPPEAR UNTIL THEY HUNG UP THE RECEIVER.

TO RESCUE YOUR PHONES, YOU HAD TO USE THE LIGHTS TO SOMEHOW CONTACT THEM. EITHER THE PROJECTOR OR MANIPULATING THE LAMPS WOULD HAVE WORKED.

HOW NOT TO SURVIVE:

BREAK THE PHONE

LEAVE THE BUILDING

WHO LIVES:

@EmilyGJones YEP, YOU DID EXACTLY WHAT I PLANNED.

@ChloeShepherd810 YES, USING THE PROJECTOR WOULD HAVE WORKED.

@AprilCox7 NICE JOB WRITING THE EXTRA BITS.

WHO DIES:

@AllThingsPI UNFORTUNATELY YOU BROKE THE PHONE, MEANING BEN GOT STUCK SOMEWHERE NOT SO GOOD WITH THE REST OF HIS FRIENDS. AND BY SOMEWHERE NOT SO GOOD I MEAN CHICAGO, OF COURSE.

@Eternal_Foxglove SADLY, LEAVING THE BUILDING MEANS THAT EVERY PHONE WITHIN A 1 MILE VICINITY IS GOING TO RING FOREVER AND EVER NOW. BETTER CANCEL THAT PHONE PLAN.

WHO TELLS YOUR STORY:

@crimson_mystery_cake

YEP, YOU’RE IN LIMBO. AGAIN.

WHO WON:

@crimson_mystery_cake

YEAH, SCREW ARTICLE 13! DOWN WITH ARTICLE 13! VIVA LA REVOLUCIO [THE REST OF THIS POST HAS BEEN REDACTED BY THE EUROPEAN UNION UNDER ARTICLE 13. EVEN THOUGH CRIMSON FOX LIVES IN AMERICA.

I JUST SCREAMED

WHO LIVES WHO DIES WHO TELLS YOUR STORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

XD

Btw I am going to keep hoarding prompts until I get conformation that any of the other hosts are alive

I do expect to die with the idiot squadron every time, though, just a future warning. I’ll probably do things to put them in harms way, even.

SHATTERED SYMPHONY

YOU’RE REGRETTING EVERYTHING. YOU AGREED TO GO TO A CONCERT WITH A FRIEND, BUT LITTLE DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOING TO A CLASSICAL CONCERT. IT’S BEEN FOUR HOURS ALREADY, AND IT’S STILL NOT OVER. AS THE ORCHESTRA GETS READY TO LAUNCH INTO ITS NEXT PIECE, YOU DECIDE YOU CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE AND GET UP TO LEAVE.

SUDDENLY, THE CONDUCTOR TURNS AROUND AND LOOKS YOU STRAIGHT IN THE EYE. “PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR SEATS UNTIL THE PERFORMANCE IS OVER.”

YOU ROLL YOUR EYES AT HIM AND OPEN THE DOOR TO LEAVE.

AS SOON AS YOU STEP FOOT OUT THE DOOR, HOWEVER, YOU FIND YOURSELF BACK IN YOUR SEAT.

GLANCING AROUND IN CONFUSION, YOU NOTICE THAT THE ENTIRE AUDIENCE SEEMS DAZED AND TIRED, NOT MOVING OR LOOKING AWAY FROM THE ORCHESTRA,

EVERY TIME YOU TRY TO LEAVE, THE SAME THING HAPPENS. THE CONDUCTOR WAVES HIS BATON AND YOU FIND YOURSELF BACK IN YOUR SEAT. YOU TRY TO CLIMB ON STAGE AND ATTACK HIM, BUT WHENEVER YOU GET CLOSE TO THE CONDUCTOR HE JUST WARPS YOU BACK INTO YOUR SEAT AGAIN.

WHAT DO YOU?

YOU TURNED IN YOUR WEAPONS TO SECURITY. YOU COULD PROBABLY TAKE SOME OF THE ORCHESTRA’S INSTRUMENTS AND USE THEM AS WEAPONS, AS THEY TOO SEEM DAZED AND CONFUSED.

THE MUSIC HAS SOMEHOW NULLIFIED YOUR POWERS. MAYBE IF YOU COULD SILENCE THE MUSIC, YOU WOULD GET YOUR POWERS BACK?

Well if there was ever a prompt made for Rally and Meg…

Sorry. I have a few college assignments to get done. Then ill post a prompt or two.