Wow.

I have been here on Wattpad a very short time. Less than a week, I think.

I wish I hadn’t put this off so long, because it is THE SINGLE BEST THING I have ever done for myself as a writer.

I have been so, so, so, SO depressed about writing and my chances as a writer, thinking I was awful, thinking nobody would ever give a living shit what I wrote, thinking if it didn’t find high plaudits and a gazillion readers yesterday it meant I was no good, and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

In something like two nights just lurking around this place, I have stumbled on things I really needed to know. Some on this board, and some on links that took me off this board to links that took me to other links. None of which I ever would have found if I hadn’t joined here.

It’s turned my whole perspective around, which, since my entire life has been in the toilet since I was widowed five years ago and then got my heart royally STOMPED on, I really really reallyreally needed.

Appreciate it, y’all.

Really.

Aw… here, take some love, you beautiful you : ) :heart:

I’m so glad! There are some very cool people on this board.

BTW, you and I are the same age. I am not a vet, but I have dogs and horses that my life revolves around. (And there’s an injured dog in my WIP. I may hit you up for some info in the future, if you wouldn’t mind?)

Aw I’m new here too (about 3 weeks) and it’s really nice.

You’ll find all kinds of people here with different goals and experiences. It could be a support group or a place to learn or share or just a place to talk to others with similar problems or hopes.

To know there’s this big community of global “wordies” out there has made a big difference to me. I work in a very technical, process driven environment, where I’m one of the few creatives. With Wattpad I found my home!

Sure! (Been doing the injured dog thing since 1993. Fuck, I’m old.)

You said you’re fifty? Then I’m even older :sunglasses: WP is not only about teenagers. There’s a lot of them around, and you know what - this is great! I like young people. If I only interact with my own age group I go all doddery in my head

Welcome. So glad you are finding it helpful. We all go through those days of fear and doubt. Best thing to do, just keep keeping on. If you work at constant improvement, you’re likely to improve!

LOL. All I’m saying, it’s not like we’re Jonathan Safran Foer and publishing our first novel at 24. Most def don’t have the years and years to wait on agents and publishers in the industry. (Like my husband, by the time we started gaining any readership at all, we might be dead. :frowning: .)

I’ve had some REALLLY good teachers. My husband was a finalist for two national level awards and won two smaller ones, and I’ve spent 20 years in a very good critique group. About half of the crop of people I started out with got published. We had a Missouri Historical Novel Award winner and someone else who won a couple of minor awards as well. So, I’ve absorbed a lot, I think.

Here’s some helpful advice from someone who knows a thing or two about personal struggles:

Up until late last year, I had been running the gauntlet towards getting something published for the past 31 years. In that time frame, I have experienced the best and the worst of humanity in terms of support and outright hatred.

I have had people give me a much needed push in the right direction, while others worked their butts off to keep me and my lofty ambitions in life contained and/or permanently grounded.

I’ve had people tell me, “You’ll be famous some day as a writer” while others told me to quit doing it and get a “day job” that pays.

I’ve also had days where I self-doubted myself and my ability to write competently. I’ve had people tell me not to worry about such things and focus on just writing.

Over the years, I’ve had a lot of setbacks, frustrations, failures and a lot more than one person should be able to handle. But through it all, I kept my eye on the prize, and finally succeeded in getting something on the board.

But joining a writing site didn’t lead me to this moment. I had to do all the work myself. I doled out money for the edits, cover art, and everything in between, and along the way…I realized that what I’ve done may not change people’s minds any.

Or garner me any good reviews online. But even in the face of that reality, I still kept pushing. And pushing. And pushing some more.

So…one book is out. Now I’m working on getting more that I’ve written and done, so I can keep publishing. Because in the end, you don’t need a writing site like this one to show you the way.

You just need to have faith in yourself and your abilities to being a really great writer.

The rest will take care of itself.

@PDReaderfiction @LiteraryBeast @SchuylerThorpe

Hey there

Please remember to keep your comments in the threads on topic. The OP of threads do not appreciate their discussions being derailed.

I’ll remove your comments

Thank you

Katherine - Community ambassador

Hi Katherine! I’m a little confused as to how I am responsible for derailing the thread. Also you kind of removed the OP’s responses as well. Just curious. Moderate as you see fit.

Your comment wasn’t about the topic of this thread. It was derailing the discussion.

Look, I’ve seen in less than 48 hours on this board that you’re just protecting the troll.

Why do you do this? Any other place online, when a person is spreading misinformation and bothering people, that person is the one who gets disciplined, not the people correcting the misinformation and upset by the troll. Good grief, you have a big name author on here saying this. Why doesn’t the mod staff wake up???

P.S., it was my own thread. How can I derail my own thread and then be upset with myself? No, you’re protecting a known troll who spreads misinformation and is bothering users. Wake up and stop.

I didn’t look to see who was the OP of this thread. If I had, I would have closed it. You can’t attack people who reply to your thread because you don’t like what they say.

Edit: He wasn’t trolling your thread, he was replying to your discussion. He’s allowed to post his observations and opinions, like anyone else.

I’m glad you are finding value in the Wattpad community :slight_smile: Like XimeraGrey I’m also older with dogs and horses so there’s a few of us around and you’re definitely not alone in your journey.

Welcome to Wattpad! Sorry you seem to have run into some problems :flushed: I promise that for the most part, Wattpad is a really wonderful place filled with some awesome, talented, and helpful people! We’re happy to have you here :smile:

Join us at #the-pub! It’s like #the-cafe, but for people old enough to legally drink.