Writers Market/Advice

Hello! I was wondering if anyone heard of Writers Marker and if it is worth the time to be subscribed to it and find things through there. I`m torn between self-publishing my stories or trying to get them traditionally published (that is my dream). I know the author of Twilight got published through there and I was just wondering.

I was also looking through a few threads and people are starting to scare me off of traditionally publishing despite the fact that I know nothing about the two. Also, my books on here arent that popular and I was wondering if Traditional publishing would be better.

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth the money to subscribe to Writer’s Market (or even to buy the book). If you want to pursue traditional publishing, I strongly recommend getting an agent. You can search for those via QueryTracker.net.

Traditional publishing is, in my opinion, excellent for writers who haven’t been published before, for several reasons:

1. It’s highly competitive. If you get accepted, you’ll know your writing is at the standard needed to publish successfully. (Anyone can self publish, and a LOT of self published books were not ready for prime time.)
  2. If you traditionally publish, you’ll be walked through the process by your agent and editor. That’s a good way to learn that side of the business.
  3. Trad publishing includes developmental, line, and copy edits. It’s a MASTER CLASS in crafting a novel. If you learn from the process, it was worth the price of admission.
  4. Trad publishing has wider reach. It’s a good way to build a wide fan base, which you can build off of by becoming hybrid and self publishing after the first novel.
  5. Self publishing requires you to be both author AND publisher. That’s a BIG learning curve – which is why such a high percentage of self pubbed novels crash and burn.
  6. Self publishing requires a fairly significant upfront financial investment to do well.

Thank you! I just am so confused on all of this!

Does it cost money to traditionally publish?

Nope. Agents and publishers are both paid on the back end via sales.

That actually helps a lot! Thank you!

Um…hehehe…I can save you about…ten years of frustration and time by having you self-publish your books instead of trying to get into the good graces of the mainstream.

I mean, unless you have some idea on what’s going on, what’s been written, on demand, have the right connections, talk to the right people, and so on…? Self-publishing is a great time saver. Both for publishing and your own sanity.

Now, of course, people will say you can still do it, but you also have to be really realistic about your odds of being accepted by the Big 5–which is what most in the business won’t openly admit to because they want everyone to think that it’s easy, pain-free, and anyone can do it.

Until you get about 200-300 rejection letters in the mail saying, “This isn’t right for us” or “We don’t take fiction”.

I am thinking about publishing my Danny Phantom Star vs the Forces of Evil here but I am waiting until I get more followers because I think that it would be pointless publishing it if no one reads it.

I would be down for self-publishing, if i had more readers

Let me share you with some important advice from someone who finally self-published after being burned by the mainstream for 10 years running: Don’t wait for the industry to decide when you’re good and ready.

Because this is an industry–which has been around for far longer than most of us have been alive. In fact, some publishing houses have been around since the formation the United States of America–give or take about 20-25 years after the American Revolution.

The point is, is these people can wait you out forever. Forever. Like: “The rest of your life.”

Time is something they don’t care much about. They can tell people for 50 years they won’t take their books (and they have!), but waiting on them to decide is like trying to win the state lottery on a $1 ticket.

Self-publishing can be a little expensive–depending on how much money and effort you put into your book–but it’s a much better option for those of us who don’t want to wait a lifetime on the Big 5 publishing world.

Don’t bother with Writers Market, it’s out of date by the its printed. Join QueryTracker as mentioned by @XimeraGrey, the site owner puts a lot of time and effort into ensuring their database is constantly updated. Plus you can search by genre and track agents you query and responses.

There’s a number of advantages to at least spending some time querying. You learn about the publishing process, you find critique partners, you workshop your manuscript to make it stronger and you learn to give and receive criticism which is crucial in this industry. There’s also a huge and supportive querying community on Twitter with pitch events, mentors, etc.

You can always try querying for a certain time frame and then give self publishing a go :slight_smile:

Thank you :slight_smile:

I chose not to traditional publish because I don’t have the patience for the snail-paced industry. But that doesn’t mean traditionally publishing isn’t a good idea. For me, the main reasons are:

1. Validation — an expert thought your book was good enough to publish.
  2. Education — you can learn a lot from the publisher’s Development Editor.
  3. Book Stores — your book is on book store shelves (even if its for a short time).

Number 3 is my main want! Which is why I dont know what to do.

If you want to see your book on a shelf in a store then you need to pursue trad. But keep in mind bookstore placement can be fleeting - a title is given about 6 weeks to perform and if it doesn’t have sufficient sales, it won’t be stocked. Plus stores want books to be returnable, and returns can be a killer, it used to be $2 per title returned.

Ohh okay!