Writers Struggle Two Hangout: Vent, Encourage, Ask, etc

writing

Welcome to the Second Thread of Struggles.

How do they go?

Struggling Writers Hangout: Vent, Ask, Encourage, etc

First

Second

Hey @DomiSotto. Biggest struggle at the moment? Feeling like a cliche. How are you?

Fourth

Fifth

Being naturally niche and obscure.

Deciding if I need to abandon my book ad go search for a more mainstream appeal subject

Oh, boy. That’s a huge thing.

Nah, dude, if you like what you’re doing, just stick with it. Being a writer is different from being an author bc you can just write for yourself. If you’re working on something to get published, then you have to care about what other people say and think.

That depends on how much you care about the reads. Why would you abandon something original to become like all the others?

You could also go the route of making it look mainstream and then wowing the readers. lol

I totally agree.

Well, old thread’s officially dead. I watched it die to confirm such and blurring this because it sounds creepy tbh.

So, I was just thinking about this recently. I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my current WIP, and a number of issues basically boil down to me losing interest and falling out of love with some of the characters and such. I have other projects planned out a little but haven’t started. I thought about maybe taking a long break from my current project to work on another one until I feel the urge to get back into it. Any thoughts about that or should I try something else?

Just do it.

And do it hard.

Okay, do you mean work on another project or keep going and hopefully get through. Instructions unclear, killed a thread.

I think it depends on how much you think your current project will suffer if you force it. There is something to be said for continuing and following through with something until the end. However, if you’ve lost all the interest you once had, it will show in your writing.

I mean, go ahead and create a group of projects and feel free to alternate between them. That way you keep your creative instincts fresh. It’s a break, essentially, which is normal. I’ve done it. You can do it. You don’t have to read to much into it. You don’t wanna do something then take a break.

Taking a break is always a good idea. I’d just suggest maybe having a ‘return date’ because waiting too long can make it harder to pick the book back up. Then you start forgetting the little details you didn’t write down because you were convinced you’d remember and then you start wondering where you going with everything. . . Or maybe that’s just me. Haha

But, it is also easier for some writers to edit a mess instead having to write a page of new words.