Writing problems and fears

When I get critiques done, I usually hate it. I don’t enjoy being told I’m wrong, but I know it pays off in the long run. Often, after receiving a critique, I’ll politely thank the person that’ll do it, I’ll have a little cry, mull it over for a couple days and then try to implement their advice.

You don’t have to enjoy critism, just be polite about it and take your time coming to terms with it.

Critiques can be incredibly hard to hear the first few times, but they are needed. A critic is a reader who looks at the writing rather than the story. A reader can see the story in a way a writer cannot.

I have a habit of getting somewhat defensive when I get one, explaining my reasons for doing something they pointed out. Then, five minutes later, I realize they are trying to point out things so future readers won’t be distracted by them.

There have been a few times where I thanked them and left it as it was, then later on a reader would have the same issues.

They saw the story in a way I was too close to see.

Sometimes critics will point out issues that are really just about their personal preference. They aren’t always right. So I have something in the introduction saying that if a reader agrees with a critics comment, reply ‘agree’ to the critique. If they don’t, reply ‘don’t agree’.

The way I see it, a critic and editor help to take the story and help you to make it the story you saw in your head. They are there to help you make your story more enjoyable for future readers.

Thank you so much for the response! I think it helped me really think about critiques, and it was so well written! I really do appreciate the response, and it was quite lovely to see!
-Ari

Haha - thank you for the response. You’re right, I should do me, thank you.

I hope everything turns out okay; I am terrified out burning out as well. Sometimes it happens and, well, you can’t seem to do anything about it. I appreciate the response, and I love the first sentence of the second paragraph, might as well quote that. Thank you for the reply, very much appreciated.

I’m probably going to have to do the crying part too, but yes - I agree with you for sure. I will be polite, and a few tears might be shed. I appreciate the reply, I quite enjoyed your reasoning.

I get the same way! I have a need to defend what I just worked so hard on, then I realize, they are trying to help. I think that is just a normal human reaction, but I appreciate the advice, and I am glad that I am not the only one who gets rather - defensive. I also agree so much with the second to last paragraph, I think I really needed to hear that. Thank you for the reply, I need to listen to this one with my heart.
-Ari

I don’t get defensive so much as feel the need to defend. Andd I’m learning to take it so much better with my current book because I’m really trying to give it my all.

I have one reader that I send chapters to privately. She’s one of the bigger romance writers on here so I really trust her opinion. She says it like it is, pointing out what’s good and what doesn’t work. I’ll explain my choices than quickly realize her points are completely valid and she’s showing me the issues through a readers eyes, which is how I need to see it in order to do what’s right for my story.

And I have two other readers that point out all the mistakes so I can fix them for the next reader.

The way I see it is if the writer has to explain all the little choices they make, they aren’t telling the story as well as they could be. My job as the writer isn’t done until a reader can be fully immersed in the story with no longer needing to point out mistakes or flaws or ask all the little questions that the story itself should have the answers to.