YA Sci-Fi

Anybody else writing in the young adult science fiction genre? Where’s my Hunger Games and Shatter Me fans at? Divergent, Under the Never Sky, Matched? Anybody?

I feel like when I look in the sci-fi genre on wattpad it’s either all space operas or zombie outbreaks. Not that there’s anything wrong with those stories, I just love the young adult genre. Anybody else feel this way? Or have any other comments? Or want to be ya sci-fi friends?

6 Likes

Yes! I feel this way too. Sci-fi is one of my favorite genres but I haven’t found any on here that held my attention. Maybe I hadn’t looked hard enough. Do you write sci-fi? I’m totally down to be sci-fi friends :blush:

2 Likes

I have a story that is Science Fiction - Fantasy but it’s wrapped around a 17 year old girl who feels abandoned from her family and fights the power of being a hero or villain over the course of the book.

1 Like

hey :blush: I just followed you, I’m looking forward to checking out your book later!

1 Like

Thanks! Hopefully, it will hold your attention but I know it still needs a lot of work haha Do you have one? I didn’t look at your books which is something I’m bond to do later.

I have a story in Science Fiction too. However, it doesn’t include fantasy. Mine is about a 16 year old girl as she is thrown into a corrupted world after a major war that wiped out most of humanity.

2 Likes

Hi, I am writing a YA sci-fi story on WP right now, it has multiple MCs who fight machines with a limited superpower that costs a lot! However, some of them has special unlimited powers. But the world is falling apart because of them!

1 Like

i’m obsessed with sci-fi, it tends to dominate most of what I write. How about you, sci-fi friend? :smile:

that sounds so interesting!! I’m putting it on my reading list now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m writing a sci fi book that could probably be considered YA. Most of the main characters are adults (20-30 years old) but my writing style probably makes younger people the target audience.

oooh I’ll check it out! What is it called?

1 Like

Oh, that sounds pretty awesome. I mean, I claim to have it Fantasy as I’m still trying to determine how powers work and the likes, which there are some things in it that can’t really be explained by science means. What is your story called?

Haha, the Science Fiction one is called Wonove

This is actually my first time checking out a Sci-Fi thread on the forums after recently beginning the rewrites to my incomplete book and deciding to place a greater emphasis on the fictional drugs/powers given to the protagonist/other reality. I’d highly not recommend reading the book as it is at the moment if you’re looking for the best examples of the Sci-Fi elements (and in general, as a lot is going to change in the upcoming drafts), but I’d be happy to get back to ya once I’ve finished posting the updates. :slight_smile:

I’m a pretty big fan of sci-fi too both for adults and young adults, but especially the dystopian variety. I love the classics like The Handmaids Tale, 1984, Brave New World etc but I also really got into some YA stuff like the Uglies series that first put me onto the genre. I think my writing kind of falls between the two, although I’m not sure if I would say it is young adult exactly.

1 Like

Ugh Handmaid’s tale is one of my favorite books. 1984 as well. Uglies was definitely one of the first ya dystopians I read and fell in love with, just further pushing me into this genre. I don’t read strictly young adult, but for some reason I find myself continuing to write in the age zone even as I personally grow out of it. What about you?

1 Like

I think YA dystopian stories are definitely a gateway genre, and even as you “age out” of it you can still do great work within the genre for sure. I read the novel Feed in college when I was studying to be an English teacher and even though it was for 8th graders I think it was one of the greatest stories I’ve ever read.

Honestly I haven’t written enough to know about my own writing tendencies. I kind of started writing creatively as a way to use up some free time, but it has been a recent development. It is great to see that there are others out there who appreciate the classics too! I love the action many YA novels incorporate, but I know some people who can’t really get into the slower moving nature of books like 1984. To each their own of course.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of Feed, and I never got around to reading it, but I’ve always wanted to. It reminds me a little bit of the Under the Never Sky books by Veronica Rossi.
But I feel similarly about The Raven Boys. Even though it is technically a YA book, it was one of the greatest things I’ve read and I felt so instantly that I would never write something as good as it, or really anything Maggie Stiefvater writes.
Though I see it more of an attainable goal, that I could write something that good if I was patient haha.

Feed is terribly tragic, which is sort of my thing. I’ve never read that series, but I’ll definitely have to check it out! I haven’t been reading as much as I would have liked with work and school but now that I’m done with the schooling part I’m trying to get back into it. From what I’ve seen of your writing so far, you are off to a pretty strong start :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Let me know how you like it! I’ll be honest it took me some time to come back to it after I had initially started before I really got into the series, but I’m glad I stuck with it. I even met the author at a book event and she was a sweetheart.
And I feel the same way! I always wish I had more time to read!
Thank you so much, that’s such a huge compliment! Your stuff is absolutely stunning.