Your character is stuck on an island with what...?

A-Armadillo researchers…

Okay, works for me!

A New Island Has Appeared…

WELCOME BACK. I SEE YOU’RE ALL ALIVE AND KICKING FOR THE NEXT ISLAND. GATHER 'ROUND AND LET’S SEE WHAT HAS OCCURRED.

FOREST EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK. WET, HUMID, INSUFFERABLE. A RAINFOREST ISLAND BELIEVED TO BE LOCATED SOMEWHERE [ TRANSMISSION LOST ]

WELCOME TO MY DWELLING, WRETCHED BEINGS. YOU MAY BE WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR RADIO FEED? I SHROUDED IT WITH MY RAIN CLOUDS. YOU SURVIVORS THINK YOU’RE SO SMART. TRY A JUNGLE FILLED WITH DEADLY SNAKES, GIANT ANTS, AND FREQUENT THUNDERSTORMS. NOTHING IS DRY, NOT EVEN WOOD. YOU DON’T EVEN REMEMBER WHO I AM–YOU DON’T REMEMBER ANYTHING AT ALL. ALL YOU KNOW IS THAT YOU ARE TRAPPED HERE, YOU AND AN UNKNOWN PARTNER. I HAVE, HOWEVER, GIVEN YOU THE CHOICE OF ONE ITEM TO KEEP YOU COMPANY ON YOUR STAY. CHOOSE WISELY…

DEADLINE IS FEB 17.

the password is hiddeN in this post. Only use it if you have REad the ruleS. Thank you.

Wait, do we get to choose the character’s partner?

Haha, you nailed all of her weaknesses :joy:
Yes, this is the most social and anxious-about-her-friends one of my characters. Also not particularly experienced in survival (hence the reliance on friends’ advice), and prone to acting without really thinking things through. I knew about the cactus water, but I had to write in character!

Thank you for surviving her :slight_smile:

@Eternal_Foxglove I’mma let you go first this time.

Okie! I’ll try my best!

Can we extend the deadline? Because I have too many other deadlines.

Sorry!

Welp, I’m gone for a week starting tomorrow, so here I am.

Nores? :thinking:

POV: Whipper

Trees! Oh Shelha, there are trees; thank Shelha…
I’m perched in the lowest tree crook before I can register what I’m doing, and my anxiety calms. I close my eyes and rest my head against the bark. Something about it is familiar, but in a bad and a good way. I think I’ve been somewhere like this before. The fact that I can’t remember doesn’t disturb me as much as it probably should.

I shift positions and something jabs my side. A squeak escapes me before I can stop it, but the jab wasn’t a bite and I don’t think I’m hurt. I inch my hand towards it and find that I have a pocket and that pocket has something in it. Something flat and stiff. I pull it out, stare at it for a moment and burst into tears.

Right, I have a family. And the non-memory is familiar because Jay was like that when he joined us, and he’s talked about how it felt… and I still can’t remember when I’ve been stranded in an unfamiliar jungle before, but it must have been with Sethral and Silversand and Taz and Fletch and Ryatzi because I miss them all really hard right now, and I keep expecting to hear Sethral’s voice making some smart remark about how every place she ends up seems to be wet.

I hug the picture and tuck it back into my pocket. Thank Shelha there are trees here. I’m scared of the ground, like a muscle memory warning me that I’ve been there before and it’s dangerous, but I’m from a tree species and it won’t be hard to stay off the forest floor. I tug the tip of a bromeliad leaf. Its cone ripples with fresh water. I drink, then soak my hands and rub them through my hair. I don’t realize what I’m doing until I’ve done it. That’s a muscle memory too. The last time I was in a jungle, it must have been for a while.

A stream of ants is trucking steadily up and down the trunk beside me, but they’re not aggressive and they probably won’t be unless I intrude on them. I carefully step around their little road and start to climb. It’s slippery, but I’m too light to get hurt if I fall.

The top of the last canopy is little but twigs and birds’ nests. I steal a couple of eggs and break through the last layer of leaves, to find myself beneath a heavy grey sky. A lone tree protrudes far above the canopy to my left, so I make my way over to it and scramble up the lianas wrapping its trunk. I’m halfway to the top when I turn around, to discover that I’m not just in a jungle—I’m on a jungle island.

It’s misting lightly, and far cooler up here than down in the canopies. I perch myself on a branch, holding onto the vines, and swing my feet in the empty space. The water past the edge of the jungle sparkles like crushed crystal, even beneath the grey sky. I squish an egg on the bark beside me. Before long, bugs are traipsing in from all around to investigate. I let my instinct pick which ones to avoid. Camouflaged moths and lacy flying bugs don’t usually have poison. They probably put all their energy into camouflage and flight instead.

The bugs keep coming, so I snack on as many as I want, then lie back along the branch. These tall trees must be the safest place in the jungle, if the bugs are so unwary. It makes sense; there’s no prey for snakes up here, and in a mainland jungle, birds of prey would make these tall places their lookout posts. This is an island, though. I don’t see any big birds.

When the rain intensifies, I climb back down the tree and curl up in the top branches of one beside it. I don’t want to be sitting on a lightning post when the storm blows through. The canopy above me is so dense, even the wind and the pounding rain get muted. I fall asleep wet but warm, and I still can’t shake the deep feeling of familiarity with my situation.

The next morning, I return to my perch up the big tree and this time scramble about a bit to pick the tiny fruits dangling about its twig-tips. The ants from below trickle in and out of the branches, harvesting too. I give one one of my bird’s eggs, and it drops a tiny fruit in my palm like it’s returning the favour. I like these ants.

I sit back again and pull out the photo in my pocket. It’s damp and crumpled now, but I can still see Silversand’s smile and the fingers Sethral put up behind Ryatzi’s head in the moment the shutter clicked. I wonder if my family is looking for me. I have nothing to signal with, but my shirt is white and I’m pretty visible up here. And it’s not like I’m starving. With the picture in my hand, I feel strangely at ease, like this forest is almost a home and only going about its business, and I’m welcome to stay if I don’t disturb it. I pat the tree. Maybe no one will ever find me, but it’s not like I’ve never been alone before.

Ah, so you did end up going before me! I’m sorry, I had a bunch of tests and projects due for school, plus a course selection form and everything.

Well, I’ll just keep working on mine…

Yep.

Alright. NEW DEADLINE FEB 24

Actually, it’s NO REST. Will read this soon.

EH WHAT WHY AAAAAA BUT I WROTE HALF OF IT ALREADY!

Password: NORES??

“Well hello, everybody! I’m Aster, subbing for my twin brother Narcissus today because the author wants him to jump off a tower. I should be gone as well, since I appear later in that story, but then there would be no one to do the island challenge. This is my first time doing this, so don’t go too hard on–”

Aster turns around to face the island, only to see a giant ant barreling through the thick trees straight towards him. He stumbles backward and trips, only to jump up and sprint along the rocky beach, bounding between the giant stones. “Wait a sec!” Aster shouts between ragged breaths. “Th-This isn’t really fair for a newcomer!”

He dashed towards the jungle, then remembers that the island has given him a choice of one item. "Island!" Aster cried as he leaps over a cluster of bushes. "I want a sturdy concrete cottage! Please!"

Far into the distance he could see a small grey block, barely big enough for two people to live in. Aster sprinted towards it, picking his way around tree roots and rocks. He refused to look behind him, fearing the ant was directly on his tail.

Finally, Aster reached the cottage, slamming the rectangular wooden door behind him. There he stood, gasping for breath. "S-So this is why Nar hated this so much…"

Trying his best to collect himself, Aster peeked through the single window next to the door. He didn’t see anything; no animals, no people. Just trees, wet leaves and grass, trees, black rain clouds in the distance, and more and more trees. “Al-Alright. So, I’m supposed to have an unknown partner? Where are they? I could really use a person to keep me company right now…”

Aster saw motion from the corner of his eye. He turned and gasped, ready to bolt away from the window, only to see the shadow of a person with a huge question mark on their torso. “So that’s what the island meant by ‘unknown partner’…”

He prepared to get up and wave the person over, but a snake slithered up the “unknown partner’s” leg, biting him just above the knee. The mysterious person collapsed instantly, causing Aster to shrink back into his cottage again. “Okay, okay, I’m completely screwed. Why did this stupid island have to kill off my partner so quickly?? I didn’t even get a chance to meet him yet!!”

Aster cracked the door open a little, then dashed outside and quickly collected a bundle of damp wood, avoiding the mysterious corpse the entire time. He threw them on the cottage ground, then decided to stay safe and starve for a day before getting some fire he could use for magic tomorrow. That being decided, Aster flopped onto the cold, uncomfortable concrete floor and was asleep instantly.

The next morning, Aster built a small fire in the cottage near the window with the half-dry wood. Sheets of rain poured outside, threatening to flood the small island. “Okay, I think I can use magic now…”

He waved his hand upward, causing the flames to dance through the air into his palm. Then he threw the door open, leaving the rest of the fire in the house unattended. Concrete didn’t burn; he knew that.

“Alright!” Aster shouted through the rain as he created a ceiling of fire above him. Smoke filled the air, the color mixing with the black clouds higher up. “I officially claim this godforsaken island as mine!”

“Now,” he said as he walked forward. His fire–snuffed out by the rain but restored over and over again through magic–followed him, protecting Aster from the freezing rain. “To find some food–not ants, don’t know if those are poisonous, and definitely not the snakes–to eat. It’s a jungle, so there should be other animals and plants. Water can be found almost anywhere, so I don’t have to worry about that right now….”

Plants with a milky, red, or black color were avoided immediately, along with what Aster thought to be poison ivy. There wasn’t much he knew about plants–heck, the only idea he could think of when it came to wildberries is to test them directly–so Aster hesitated to try them. Only after he tailed a young squirrel that ate a mysterious bluish-purple fruit for an hour did he finally go back and try some of what the squirrel had eaten. It tasted like blackberries, with a hint of a chocolate aftertaste.

By now the rain had mostly stopped, so Aster relinquished his hold on the fire and instead transferred it to his palm. He needed it, just in case one of those giant ants were to attack him later.

Aster ripped some of the branches with the mysterious berries off, then brought it back with him to the concrete cottage, along with some extra wood to dry. Water was drank from a few large leaves that had collected water from the rain and were sitting on the trees. He could already tell that it was going to be pretty exciting living on this island once he got used to it.

Now he just hoped that the island wasn’t cruel enough to poison the rainwater he drank.

Turning stuff like this in at the last minute. Master of procastination XD.