Your character is stuck on an island with what...?

Which one XD

Uhm…what was his name again…? XD

I’ll check after lunch.

Cerne?

No idea, though I remember that as a character.

Edit: How do you pronounce that? I feel like the C is an S sound, but it feels weird saying out loud since I don’t actually know how to say it.

Cer-en? Better if I said it but voice recorder?

Like…Ser-en?

Or Ker-en?

See-en I think

Where did the r go?? XD

Oopse XD

Ser-en (hate autocorrect right now)

How’s it on this side of the forums? DO I have some future winners? Will judge both this weekend. Got a bit of school to take care of first.

Ah, it’s okay! And wow, I completely forgot about this because I was so busy focusing on how my English grade dropped from an A to a C+ overnight. :sweat_smile:

I think I might start it as soon as I get dance over with and finish my Chinese homework (essay).

AHHHHH Deadlines! Well, you’re not here either, so I’ll write it anyways :slight_smile:

Password: Given your comment and a lack of new sets of hidden capital letters, I’ll assume it’s still NO REST.

POV: Loki

Well, this morphed into a sibling competition the moment Silversand came out with an (expectedly) lower score than Sethral… so it was either my turn next or Ryatzi’s, and woohoo, I’ll be damned if this doesn’t look like home sweet home!

Actually though. I fling myself down on the spongy forest floor and roll. I come up covered in moss shreds and fir needles, and the musty smell is enough to catapult me right back to the North forest. Only this isn’t the North forest ‘cause my clan’s not here—thank Shelha—and Whipper’s isn’t vaulting around in the trees overhead, but hey, a guy can dream, right? Not to mention that I’m only sad about Whipper’s clan. Mine can go f*** themselves.

I grab my axe and sling it at a nearby log. It lands with a satisfactory thump. I lever off a plate of bark and flip it over. The under-bark peels off in long, reddish ribbons. I stuff my pockets and dislodge my axe again. There’s a steep bank where the forest rolls down to the beach, full of roots coiling from the soil like oversized earthworms. I triangulate a clear area where two trees shy back from each other like siblings playing footsie under the table. My axe buries itself up to its handle when I swing it at the bank. Before long, I’m carving out peat blocks of satisfactory proportions.

By nightfall, I’ve got a bona fide Fisher nest, and my clothes are pretty much dry. I chuck myself down my new tunnel with a laugh. Damn, did I ever get a nest to myself back in my clan? I chip a second airhole through the ceiling and pull in a couple peat blocks to cut the wind from the door. The nest is not, strictly speaking, the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. Hacked-off tree roots shoulder me from the sides, and the ground is damp and cold—though still warmer than it’s getting outside. That’s the trick with cold places; just go underground. As long as you’ve got proper ventilation.

I curl up nearly on my back with my feet against the wall and my knees jutting out over me, pull the ribbons from my pockets and twist them until I fall asleep.

The next morning I am expectedly sore and hungry. My bark-fiber string is long enough that I can no longer stretch it out across my cave. I shove out the peat blocks and crawl outside. Damn, it’s cold.

I poke around until I find a more rotten log than the one yesterday. The knots in it are still sound, so I lever one out and plop myself down to shave away at it until I have a stout bit sharpened on both ends. I tie it to my string and dangle it in front of me. I wonder if the fish here are omnivorous? Or, if they’ve never been fished before, if they’ll be curious enough to bite without bait?

I roll to my feet and follow the sound of rushing water to an aggressive stream rumbling through the forest. I crouch immediately. An Esker-sized creature with thick, brown fur is standing in the water, glaring downwards. It lunges and comes up with a fish the length of its head. I’m downwind of it and, thankfully, on the other side of the river. Very carefully, I free a stick from the soil beside me. I hook my fishhook over it and inch it out until I can drop it in the river. The Esker-creature is busy gnawing open its fish on a rock.

My theory was correct. My hook wiggles violently in the current, and in two hundred heartbeats I have a bite. My string burns my hands as I pull hard at an angle. The fish jumps, and I yank it onto the bank. The Esker-creature’s head jerks up. I drag my fish into the bush with me, axe in hand, and chop down sharply.

I hold still. The Esker-creature sniffs the air and weaves its head back and forth. It can’t see anything. With a whuff, it starts into the river again, but the water gets deep quickly, and I can tell it hasn’t seen or smelled enough to merit the effort. It goes back to its fish. I creep back into the forest.

Fish this fresh can be eaten raw, but freezing it once to kill parasites would be a good idea. When I’m out of sight of the river, I shimmy up a tree and tie the fish well out of reach of the Esker-creature. I can tell by its body shape that it can’t climb. It’s cold enough out that the fish won’t spoil today, and it will freeze tonight. I’m starving, but I know it’s not worth the risk to cross the river and look for food. I swing my axe at a tree and pry off the tough outer bark. The sappy layer beneath it is edible, if sticky and something of an acquired taste.

I trot back to the beach. There is another Esker-creature nosing about my wrecked sailboat, which stands like a beacon halfway up the rocks. It’s unlikely to dislodge anytime soon. I duck behind the bushes and creep up and down the beach’s edge, shaking the condensed water off the plants into my canteen. When it’s half full, I drain it and fill it again. Then I go back to my cave. I’m ready for a nap.

Ugh I forgot about this again…

@SmokeAndOranges I’m so sorry for making you go before me every single time! :bowing_woman:

Hey, you! Deadline extension for 17th! Where’s your entry? XD

What is an Esker-creature?

NEW JUDGING CRITERIA. Because judging with all of the different criteria, because I like to be thorough, has put me behind on judging since the beginning, I’m changing it. You now get 1-10 points on whether I like it, and based on your character’s strengths or weaknesses, he or she will live or die. I will still base by decisions on things such as grammar, plot, style, and use of available resources, etc.

JUNGLE ISLAND. RADIO STATIC. HELLO? HELLO? OH, HELLO! I SEE YOU’RE ALL STILL ON THE ISLAND. SORRY ABOUT THE RADIO FEED EARLIER, THE STORM MUST HAVE INTERFERED… WELL THEN, NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

EVERYONE SHOULD BE PROUD OF THEMSELVES. THEY FARED QUITE WELL UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. YOU NOW HAVE YOUR MEMORIES BACK. @SmokeAndOranges, WHIPPER WAS WELL ON HIS/HER WAY TO RECOVERING PAST MEMORIES FROM THE GETGO. THAT PICTURE MUST HAVE BEEN A GIFT FROM THE ISLAND ITSELF. HA, HA, AS IF THAT COULD HAPPEN, RIGHT? – [ TRANSMISSION LOST ] –

WELL, I THINK WE’VE HAD JUST ABOUT ENOUGH OF HER. NOW, WHERE WERE WE? AH, YES. CLAIMING SOULS–I MEAN, JUDGING SURVIVORS. WHIPPER, YOU THINK YOU’RE SO CLEVER, STEALING THE FUTURE YOUNG OF BIRDS TO LURE THE INSECTS. WHAT YOU DIDN’T KNOW WAS THAT GIANT ANTS ARE ATTRACTED TO THE SAME SUBSTANCE. THEY RUINED YOUR PERCH. AND THOSE MOTHS, THE AFTER TASTE WAS WORST OF ALL. AND THOSE BIRD EGGS BELONGED TO A LARGE SPECIES OF CARNIVORES DRAGON. I NEVER SAID THIS WAS A NORMAL ISLAND. I AM WHAT I AM. YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT THAT YOU ARE ALONE NOW.

@Eternal_Foxglove. WELL NOW, ASTER. YOU SURVIVED. ISN’T THAT LOVELY. SPITS ON POSSIBLE FUTURE GRAVE. MY ANTS NEARLY HAD YOU. YOU WERE QUICK TO USE THAT FAVOR. HOWEVER, I WAS QUICK TO TAKE YOUR PARTNER. OOPS. YOU SURE KNEW HOW TO USE THAT MAGIC. YOU APPARENTLY HAD YOUR MEMORY ALL ALONG, DESPITE MY PLANS. DO I SMELL A PENALTY COMING? BETTER WATCH OUT, THE NATIVE BERRIES KILLED A LOT OF PREVIOUS NATIVES. LUCKILY, YOU WERE WISE IN CHOOSING. OH, AND YOU THOUGHT THE WATER WAS SAFE TO DRINK… WELL, IT WAS. IT WAS THE LEAF THAT WAS POISONOUS. STILL HAVING FUN?

WHIPPER, I CAN BE A KIND ISLAND WHEN I WANT TO BE. THAT IS WHY YOU GET 6 OUT OF 10 POINTS. AS FOR ASTER, YOU GET 9 OUT OF 10. HOWEVER, I NEVER SAID POINTS MEANT SURVIVAL, DID I? RESCUERS FIND WHIPPER, BARELY ALIVE, ATTACKED BY THE WILD LIFE AND TRAUMATIZED UNTIL THE NEXT ROUND. IT TURNS OUT, A NEARBY ISLAND OF THE SAME CLIMATE HELD ANOTHER PERSON LOST TO SEA. ASTER WAS RESCUED, BUT FELL ILL SHORTLY AFTER AND SUFFERED A PAINFUL WATER-BORN DISEASE UNTIL THE NEXT ROUND. WHAT DO YOU KNOW? I GUESS YOU DID SURVIVE.

Next Island will appear after Conifer Forest Island.

Welp, that was a good job for Aster’s first try! And to prevent myself from forgetting about this again, I’m gonna write it right now!

Writing has commenced.

Hahaha, an Esker is a species from their world :slight_smile: It’s very much like a bear, but bigger, dumber and slower. More like a giant ground sloth?

Hehehehehe… their scores.
Sethral: 83%
Whipper: 60%
Silversand: 57%

This is shaking out so accurately, it’s making my day. It’s totally a sibling competition now.

Oh geesh. Lol