Your PERFECT Opening Line

writing
feedback-offered
discussion
critiques
help

All of your sentences are amazing!!!

In my twenty-four years I must’ve read thousands of books, but only one of them became my home. -The World Changer

Great idea!

Knights of Lore

Kariah- Belle Nadirè felt little resistance as her sword sliced through the torso of the creature before her.

I don’t think it’s spectacular or perfect by any means, but I started this story without anything fleshed out besides the general tone I was going for and this is literally the first thing that came to mind:

It was a busy day at the aptly named Rowdy Inn.

I’ve never even considered changing it because of how well it fits the story.

This DOES conjure up imagery of the kind of place the police would be regulars at. :wink:

Ferrante elbowed Death in the face.

From my wip / short-story:

«they hunt someone every day now.»

If Iris had known that those five words would have brought New Orleans down on her shoulders, she would have stayed home.

I’m a fan of ironic humor.

From my Demon Blade novel:

You couldn’t see the skies anymore. You couldn’t remember what it was like before the conflagration that consumed much of the planet in such a short amount of time.

thanks!

Aaah, this is a good one too!!

That is a powerful feeling.

Thank you ^^!

The building was on fire, and it wasn’t my fault . - Jim Butcher
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - William Gibson

These two are my favorite snappy first sentences. A longer paragraph would be beginning on every Wheel of Time book. Some hate it and some love it, and I am the later kind xD

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of time. But it was a beginning.

That was a good book.

I’ve got a line that doesn’t belong to anything quite yet, I have many open projects and ideas that it would be great for and have yet to decide which one it’s going in, but still, I’m happy to have THIS much of a start:

‘The first dead body I ever saw was my father’s.’

I replaced my opening paragraph a week or so ago, because I didn’t feel like the original did enough to really capture the readers attention. I’m not sure if this one does either, to be honest, but I think it’s a bit catchier.

Time wasn’t flowing like a stream but rather moving at the pace of a slug on the verge of death.

Here’s mine:

Beyond the world we can see, there is an invisible realm.